Raising Pandinus & Heterometrus babies

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Brian S said:
She didnt have room. When you keep over 200 scorpions space becomes very precious. I dont have any nicely decorated large tanks like you because I lack the space. I keep all my scorps in deli cups and plastic boxes/tubs and the scorps dont seem to mind. As long as the room stays dark and they have plenty to eat they seem quite content
amen brother

i adopted a system where the only things that get semi-large for their size cages are breeding females.

Prymal

Arachnoking
Old Timer
B,

Agreed! It's great to have terraria when you have a "few" scorps but when they start to number over 100, practicality and simplicity are the rules rather than the exceptions.
Slowly, I'm replacing all of my 4 & 5.5 gallon vivaria with 2.5 gallon and 190 oz. clear plastic containers. Where I can, 128, 32 and 16 oz. clear plastic containers. A bit of substrate and a hide or two and they become home!
The only large enclosures (5.5 & 20L) that I have left are those housing my groups of Androctonus, Hadrurus, Mesobuthus and Lychas spp.

emmille

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
whoah?

is Heterometrus spinifer in season?
how come a lot of us are having babies these days?
cool..ehhh! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Gigas

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Just a question 4 of my baby emps have left their mother, and when she goes over to let them climb on her They flee.but the thing is they are still white... one has slight browning of the chela, the others have the same colouration of a palidus morph arizonensis. i always assumed they would be darker. is it ok to move them out and start feeding them?

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
They will be white for awhile even after they molt. They usually wont feed until they turn a light brown.

Gigas

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
its wierd, it did took them 3 weeks to moult into second instars, and the temp in the tank is never below 25, the claws look like they've been dusted with cocoa powder on some of them, but nearly all are speeding around the tank. even thought they are this white can i still seperate them?

after all the reading i did i expected them to go a dark chocolatey brown all over much earlier, they moulted into second instars on friday, so nearly a week

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yes you can separate them from Mom if you want to. Remember that you can keep these together. My 2nd batch took a long time like yours to do much so you have nothing to worry about

PIter

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
How do you get the scorpilings out of their mother's enclosure and into deli cups? Aren't the to small to pick up by forceps? Spoons?

Gigas

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
when i wrangled mine out PIter i just prodded the group untill tey were all on my hand(the mum got on to but i used a pencil to puch her back) one baby was being a oain in the backside so i had to grab him by his telson

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
PIter said:
How do you get the scorpilings out of their mother's enclosure and into deli cups? Aren't the to small to pick up by forceps? Spoons?
Spoons will work as will small vials. Anything that you can scoop them with will work well

maxident213

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Can anyone tell me approximately how long it takes for P. imps to moult from 2nd to 3rd instar? :) Thank you.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
maxident213 said:
Can anyone tell me approximately how long it takes for P. imps to moult from 2nd to 3rd instar? :) Thank you.
Alot has to do at what temps you keep them. I did a little experiment where I kept some at almost 90F and they molted in about a month and the ones I kept at around 78-80F took almost 4 months!!! All were fed the same too.

Zman16

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thank you so much for this article! :D

I'm going to be getting and breeding scorpions in amonth or less, and this helps me so much! Thank u!

This shows there is no love greater than a scorpion in the arachnid world. :p

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
lol Zman.. you've got a year to memorize this.... good luck though!!!

Zman16

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have a question. How do you keep the tempature of the deli cups and plastic shoe things up when the young are in there.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have a question. How do you keep the tempature of the deli cups and plastic shoe things up when the young are in there.
Ok, there are 2 ways you can do this....

1. Heat the entire room to 80F+

2. Hot Box (be careful with this, although it is very effective it can also easily get too hot if not set up correctly.