Raising my lings!!

Arachnohamilton

Arachnopeon
Hi guys, im new here, im form Mexico and my english is a lil bad, but i want to ask u something...

Is there a way to make mi lings grow up faster?? I have a recently hatched b. boehmei eggsac and i want to make some kind of experiment with just a lil part of the lings (maybe 20)...

I read somewhere that if I give them around 30ºC and like 90% of humidity they will grow like crazy... Is taht true?

I hope u get me because Im confused with my words :confused:

See u around guys and thanks!

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
Well, you'll have to have a lot of patience if you're gonna try an experiment on fast growth with boehmeis. They're some of the slowest growers out there ;) .

30 seems a little much, I'd go with 27 to be a bit on the safe side, and 90% humidity is overkill (there are other opinions on that ofcourse). Just spray a little on the side a few times a week and it should be enough.

You'd need to feed your test subjects a lot also, but try not to give them way too much, just use your head when feeding... erm.. well, I mean, think about what youre doing, I didn't mean to let them suck from your face or anything :D

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Humidity won't change anything, and 30C is a bit *too* hot--you might end up cooking them by accident. 26-27C is more like it, and feed them more often.

Keep in mind that, while they will grow faster (maybe not too noticeably, if they're Brachypelma, which will still be slow), they also won't live as long. So you don't want to do this for too much of their lifespan. :)

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have tried powerfeeding these before and it didnt seem to have much effect as far as speeding growth. They would plump up really large and then not feed for weeks on end until finally molting. So it is probably a safe bet to assume that feeding moderately will produce the same effect with the exception of it not going off feeding for a long time.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
This is going to be easier said then done. Slings for most species tend to be scavangers... they will readly eat pre killed food items... sometimes more readly then they would kill something on their own....
You did pick a slow grower thats for sure. But not as slow as G Rosea....
Your temps as mentioned are a little to high..... Grr work calls Ill get to the rest of what I wanted to say later.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
from my experiment with B. albopilosum it seems like there is a significant difference between heavily and lightly feeding. i do not know if there would be much a difference between moderate and heavy feeding, like brian says.

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
You picked a real slow grower to start with, I think the only slower grower out there is a G. rosea. You can try to power feed (feed 2 to 3 times a week) and raise the temperature. I don't know if it will work though.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Oh it will work... my personal record for smithi is sling to just under 6 inches before her 3 year birthday.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yeah for B smithi. I raised one to that size in just over 2 years but I have raised 3 boehmei which were the same sex (males :rolleyes:) and they grew quite a bit slower than a B smithi female.

Arachnokid 93

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I dont think what you are trying to do is possible . Maby for a B.smithi but not B.boehmei