Raising Humidity?

Crashin J

Arachnopeon
:confused: I need to get a lil humidity in my Curly's cage. I live in South Dakoka and we have very low humidity here. Would this work? Fill the bottom of the cage with fairly large gravel about 1/2 inch high. Then add water to that height. On top of the gravel put my potting soil on top of that about 2-3 inches. About once a week add more water. Would this work ok? If not please give me a few ideas.

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
I've never tried a set-up such as you describe. It might be OK, but IME, B. albopilosum do fine on dry substrate with a water dish and a slightly restricted ventilation. IMO, dry substrate is always preferable when possible, as it is less likely to be troubled with mites, mold, phorid flies, and other pests.

Joy

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Joy's right.
You could always add a extra water dish. Or mist the sides of cage. The extra water dish should do it ..:)

E.T

By the way: Welcome to the boards. Your going to love this site.

Last edited:

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Curlies don't really need anything humidity wise. I've always kept them like Joy, dry substrate & water dish. When I have overflowed the waterbowl, this usually results in them hanging out on the sides of the tank away from the substrate which is a pretty good indicator to me of what they think of moisture.

Crashin J

Arachnopeon
:confused: I was told I need a lil humidity in the tank, now you guys say no. Oh well, I'm confused. I'll do what ya say, since you all know and I'm learning.

Got a couple more lil guys coming, should be here Saturday!
P. Murinus Usumbara
Carlsbad Green

Thanks for the tips!

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Have fun with the P Murinus they are a handful. DOnt touch it.

Crashin J

Arachnopeon
:cool: Ok, you guys win! My only problem now is a bigger water dish takes up more room. My guys are in a Tubberware type container that I got at Wallyworld. Its about 71/2inches tall and 5 inches in diameter( round jobs). I took a deeper type of plastic cup, filled it with rocks, then filled it full of water. Before I just had a pill bottle lid in there. The lids are plastic screw on jobs that I drilled full of holes. I'll somehow close about 3/4 of those off and that should work. I hope....What ya think?

Jerry F

Crashin J

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Jerry,
That sounds fine. How big is your spider?

Ernie