raising baby emperor's(live feed or dead?)

orkimedies

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i recently got 2 small emperor babies, they are about 1.5-2 inches long.

at this size should i feed them live crickets? should i be worried about scorpions as young as this cannibalising?

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yes you can feed them live crickets. As long as the crickets are of equal size or smaller. :) Sometimes they cannibalize, feed them well, keep a bunch of hide outs aviable and seperate any that you think have ill intentions.

Ed

Dom

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I've raised my brood of emps to 5I (a few are 6I) entirely on dead food. I keep them communally and haven't had any incident of cannabalism even in times when I haven't fed them much. They seem to get along very well.

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Just curious Dom, when you feed them dead food, do you have to feed them sparingly for them to accept it or do they just eat them when you drop them in? Thank you for assisting, I'ved never used anything dead. :eek:

Ed

Dom

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Hi Ed,
I usually feed them quite well. The reason I started in the first place is that when they were young I wasn't sure if they were quick enough to catch lateralis nymphs so I placed a pile of dead roaches in the middle of their tank. In the morning they were all gone and I've fed them that way ever since. It just works out easier to feed them dead, especially since they are eating adult dubia now which would spend most of their time hiding in the substrate if I put them in live. My 3 H. paucidens also eat dead food. I haven't tried it with my other species but perhaps I will this week and see if they are interested.
I usually feed the emps quite well but even if I don't feed for a few weeks and one molts the others will leave it alone and I've had no incidents of cannabalism (yet).

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Awesome Dom, thanks for shedding some light on that for me.I may try this with my vaejovis who is about ________ that big. LoL

Thanks again.

Ed

Dom

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Actually that reminds me that I've fed my 2I V. spinigerus dead also. When I got them the only feeders I had were bigger than they were so I put a few dead ones that I cut in half, they ate them no problem.