Rainforest style vivarium build.

Rhino1

Arachnobaron
I decided to set up a bio active rainforest vivarium to keep busy, this whole build ended up getting a bit out control lol and is still a work in progress at the moment, so I had some ideas regarding plants and after a bit of thought I decided to set up a 20 gal with sliding doors.
This my background build below, its already got the false bottom and charcoal in, I wanted a light coloured rock fake rock background so I went with "slate" grey grout colour.
IMG_20200403_170638.jpg
Skip a few steps and I'm at this stage, I've also added dwarf isopods, springtails of course and leaflitter etc
IMG_20200404_180315.jpg
Plants in the above pic, Bottom left is fittonia, back left is dracaena sanderiana (lucky bamboo) in 3 colour forms (lemon lime variegated, green, and normal variegated) also in amongst the dracaena foliage are bare canes waiting to grow some new leaves.
Top right corner is pothos "neon" is also called pothos "lime".
Under that on the wall are two native maidenhair ferns.
Underneath that jutting rock on the right is a dwarf wandering Jew species and at the front right are more variegated lucky bamboo canes,I also added lots of feather moss on the floor and back wall.
Side view.......
IMG_20200404_180251.jpg
top view of the layout.....
IMG_20200404_180136.jpg
......and I'm done, anyways thanks for looking;)

Last edited:

Rhino1

Arachnobaron
what's goin in??
What are planning to keep in there?
This little dude IMG_20200405_074509.jpg I picked him up for $40, but now I actually have some concerns with him going into that tank, as he seems to not be such a great eater, so Im not so sure.
It's an Australian green tree frog -litoria careulea it's just metamorphosed (I paid for it while it was still swimming but only just picked him up now) and is probably almost an inch long, I know I will have to rehouse him in 12 months as he would probably be too big, fat and destructive for the enclosure by then.
After that time, I would like a small colony (5-6) of dwarf tree frogs -litoria fallax. Some were for sale here recently but they had the brown morph and I only like the green ones lol

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I love frogs. I've owned several White's Tree Frogs, and assorted other species. No expert on frogs, but I love them.

Rhino1

Arachnobaron
I love frogs. I've owned several White's Tree Frogs, and assorted other species. No expert on frogs, but I love them.
I love frogs too, they are so hard to come by here, it's taken me almost two years to track down a breeder that has some for sale here in Australia. I'm so stoked, he is such a cool little dude

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I love frogs too, they are so hard to come by here, it's taken me almost two years to track down a breeder that has some for sale here in Australia. I'm so stoked, he is such a cool little dude
Man, I've been to your country, and hope I do sometime soon. I read how almost the entire reef bleached, it made me so sad. I doubt I'll ever see the Great Barrier Reef in all it's glory.

I know it's tight to get some animals there, but is that true for reptiles as well? I suspect being an island import/export is super strict there.

Rhino1

Arachnobaron
I know it's tight to get some animals there, but is that true for reptiles as well? I suspect being an island import/export is super strict there.
Yeah we only have access to our native reptiles and inverts, we can get axolotls but anything else exotic from around the world we just don't have.
Most native pythons, turtles and lizards are fairly easy to come by now, pythons are fairly cheap too.
There's no real import reptiles or invertebrates that I can think of, we have had a few outbreaks of wild red eared sliders near me but the government is determined to eradicate them from the environment, it's illegal to keep them

Coradams

Arachnoknight
Beautiful set up! Well done! Do I understand that you made the background yourself? If so, do you mind telling how?

Rhino1

Arachnobaron
Beautiful set up! Well done! Do I understand that you made the background yourself? If so, do you mind telling how?
Hey no problem, I didn't really take progress pics but I broke up a foam box into pieces used a small blowtorch to shape them(well ventilated), sanded them and added detail, I then used black silicone to glue them on and its also something for the grout to grab onto, once it's dry I coat everything generously with grout. I use latex based pond sealer instead of water to mix the grout, once its cured it's totally impervious to moisture, then sprinkle with sand etc while it's still wet.
Once it's done, I leave it sit for a few days and repeatedly hose it then let it dry during that time to leach out anything bad.
Actually, if you watch YouTube look up Serpa design and see how that dude does his backgrounds, it's similar.
Always make sure you use 100% pure silicone and any other products in the build has to be non toxic.
Good luck, get creative and build something awesome

Dorifto

He who moists xD
Awesome looking setup!!! Which moss are you using? Java moss?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yeah we only have access to our native reptiles and inverts, we can get axolotls but anything else exotic from around the world we just don't have.
Most native pythons, turtles and lizards are fairly easy to come by now, pythons are fairly cheap too.
There's no real import reptiles or invertebrates that I can think of, we have had a few outbreaks of wild red eared sliders near me but the government is determined to eradicate them from the environment, it's illegal to keep them
Wonder who brought the slides in hah. Axolotls thats interesting.

I have a species of Woma, CB of course. Gorgeous python.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Womas and blackheads are gorgeous, very interesting python group
Womas and blackheads are gorgeous, very interesting python group

Totally!!! I saw blackheads first, but passed when I saw 8ft of size, didn't have the space. I think they are gorgeous. But did get one of its "cousins".

I'll tell you one thing, the most alert snake I've ever owned!! And their single heat pit is WILD.

Coradams

Arachnoknight
Hey no problem, I didn't really take progress pics but I broke up a foam box into pieces used a small blowtorch to shape them(well ventilated), sanded them and added detail, I then used black silicone to glue them on and its also something for the grout to grab onto, once it's dry I coat everything generously with grout. I use latex based pond sealer instead of water to mix the grout, once its cured it's totally impervious to moisture, then sprinkle with sand etc while it's still wet.
Once it's done, I leave it sit for a few days and repeatedly hose it then let it dry during that time to leach out anything bad.
Actually, if you watch YouTube look up Serpa design and see how that dude does his backgrounds, it's similar.
Always make sure you use 100% pure silicone and any other products in the build has to be non toxic.
Good luck, get creative and build something awesome
Thanks for the info. I have been watching SerpaDesign all day. I am down to 3 fish in my 30 gallon. When they are gone, I may try a riparium. Oh its on, baby! It's on!

Rhino1

Arachnobaron
Thanks for the info. I have been watching SerpaDesign all day. I am down to 3 fish in my 30 gallon. When they are gone, I may try a riparium. Oh its on, baby! It's on!
Awesome, be warned though, it can become addictive lol.