Rack system

Gabe Ma

Arachnosquire
Hi all,
I recently started to add shelving units into my reptile room. I noticed that having these shelving units really help the layout and organization. My question to y’all is, what would you recommend for shelving unit for 2 blue tounged skinks? Both are in exoterra glass tanks. Both have lamps and such and both tanks are heavy. I couldn’t tell you how heavy as I do not know the weight.
Would a metal shelf unit from Canadian tire or homedepot do?
If I could, I would like to add a 18x18x24 crested gecko tank on top of the shelving unit as well.

Please recommend shelving units with links if you can provide. Greatly appreciated

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince
I think it's against forum rules to link to purchase things. But I use metal shelving units to hold up enclosures for my ball pythons, dart frogs, crested gecko, etc etc that I bought at home depot. Just make sure you check the weight capability of the shelves

Gabe Ma

Arachnosquire
Oh my bad. Didn’t know… tanks for the info. What weight would you recommend per shelf? 500LB Max load?

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince
I mean it just depends what you’re gonna put on there lol. The ones I got were 600 per shelf I just checked, but honestly I doubt I’m putting over 100 on a shelf. Better safe than sorry in a situation like this though haha

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
The rack I have currently and will buy more of as my collection expands is this one (on the left).
20210722_184807.jpg
It's the Honey-Can-Do model SHF-01440 5 tier shelf. The shelves are 42" x 18", can support 800 pounds each, can be positioned at different heights, and additional shelves can be purchased. They can run $120-$160 for the 5 shelf unit (they're also available as 200, 250, and 350 pound shelving units for cheaper) and I purchased it from Amazon. While rather utilitarian in design, they suit me perfectly. The large weight capacity gives me a lot of flexibility as to what I can use them for and the modularity allows me to customize them for my specific purpose.

Malum Argenteum

Arachnoknight
Selling things in the discussion sections is prohibited, but I don't know of any ban on helpfully linking to items so to show what product you're talking about.

People use racks like the one in @l4insky's photo for dart frog vivariums all the time with no issues. I agree that buying a heavier-duty model would be worth the extra cost.

Since even the largest ExoTerra is extremely marginal in size for adult BTS housing (though I have no personal experience with BTS), it may be a good opportunity to consider more ideal housing. PVC enclosures of 4' x 2' are often recommended as a suitable minimum size by online sources that aren't simply Amazon Affiliate spam. Such enclosures don't require an additional rack, though if using incandescent or florescent lighting, some mods and spacers between stacked vivs may be necessary.

Gabe Ma

Arachnosquire
Thanks for all the info. I have been considering changing the Blue tongues to PVC enclosures giving em more room. Also looks more professional but not as pleasing to the eye.

Gabe Ma

Arachnosquire
I found a 800pound capacity shelf at Canadian tire perfect. Rather go somthing that can take hella weight. Sleep better at night too.

Malum Argenteum

Arachnoknight
Also looks more professional but not as pleasing to the eye.
Yeah, eye of the beholder. Personally, I think PVC enclosures look better than Exos for those animals that benefit from the larger enclosures (and I have quite a few of each) but that's because my eyes see optimal animal care, not 'slice of the jungle' stuff. :)

Gabe Ma

Arachnosquire
Same. Better care and happy skink powers over the look I guess. What tub or where do you get your tubs?

Malum Argenteum

Arachnoknight
Um, not tubs -- PVC enclosures.