Rabbit attacks snake (video) not graphic

Kriegan

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
What a pointless staged spectacle.

The rabbit was quick to jump, but the snake was obviously faster and got away damn quick up in the tree to safer grounds. I'd love to see that rabbit attempt to do that with a naja, a dendroaspis polylepis or a taipan, a rabbit that size would be knocked out with few venom and become dinner already!{D

Pyst

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
That wasn't staged. It was a wild mother rabbit trying to run off a predator that endangered her young. I never knew that rabbits were that protective of their young. Very interesting.

Kriegan

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That wasn't staged. It was a wild mother rabbit trying to run off a predator that endangered her young. I never knew that rabbits were that protective of their young. Very interesting.
If this in fact the case, the video is too blurry for me to tell. I didn't see the snake going towards her young, I only saw a small duck and a big pet bunny chasing the snake in someone's back yard, with the sprinkler on watering the grass.

Nich

Curator of glass boxes
Old Timer
Too bad it wasnt rock python....:(

FOOTBALL FAN

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
how was it staged?? I can just imagine the director "right mr snake in this scene the rabbits gonna chase you up a tree" " hiss off no rabbit would do that to me ok ok just this once seeing as its for a film"

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If this in fact the case, the video is too blurry for me to tell. I didn't see the snake going towards her young, I only saw a small duck and a big pet bunny chasing the snake in someone's back yard, with the sprinkler on watering the grass.
To be honest, I live in a very rural area surrounded with farms, apple farms at that. The amount of rabbits I see every year is amazing and every year I see new sets of babies and all that good stuff, point of the story is that those look exactly like the wild rabbits that are quite common in the united states... I've seen rabbits in quite a few places around the country and have seen little variation in all they're appearence, that rabbit is most likely wild. I've also seen rabbits chasing turkeys away, a few deer and my cat many many times, who only ever managed to catch one of them... Plus I dont;'t see how the video could be staged.

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I just thought it was funny as hell to see an unexpected role-reversal like that.

Kriegan

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
To be honest, I live in a very rural area surrounded with farms, apple farms at that. The amount of rabbits I see every year is amazing and every year I see new sets of babies and all that good stuff, point of the story is that those look exactly like the wild rabbits that are quite common in the united states... I've seen rabbits in quite a few places around the country and have seen little variation in all they're appearence, that rabbit is most likely wild. I've also seen rabbits chasing turkeys away, a few deer and my cat many many times, who only ever managed to catch one of them... Plus I dont;'t see how the video could be staged.
Hallo,

Hmmm well it's easy for me to consider the possibility of it being staged for specific reasons. Number one, it was filmed in someone's backyard with his/her sprinkler on watering the grass. Secondly, what are the damn odds of a rabbit, a snake, and a duck being in the "wild" at the same time sooo close to each other?? This sounds like one of those staged documentaries on tv to show a spdecific animal's behaviour and educate the public. I saw the rabbit's agression to the snake first and then saw the snake striking back trying to escape, just like a cat playing with a mouse...only on rare ocassions does the mouse gets away like the snake.

I dunno, I feel the need to question this and there's nothing wrong about me wanting to analyze further the situation. The scenery where the video is shot resembles NOTHING like the wild, I bet the owner has a nice backyard with some ducks and rabbit pets and either the snake was the intruder or someone released it there, grabbed a camera and shot exactly what came next.

Let me make this clear. I am NOT undermining the rare possibility of someone having a camera at the precise moment supposedly something "so unexpected and natural happened in the wild" without no one planning it, but the odds of this IMO are very scarce, and I just see nothing more to it. I can't distinguish where the rabbits young are if this is the case, because the video is too blurry and is of very bad quality. Perhaps I'm color blind:p but I can not analyze the possibility of it not being staged. I have the right to disagree and ponder more in depth with the facts I'm observing, if it logically seems like it was staged for fun and internet distribution, or if it was not...My two cents in the matter.

Regards,
Ulrich

Leiurus87

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
For soem reason, the background voices made me mad lol. Ive never liked rabbits anyway. bitey, stinky things.

tattoo_rebel

Arachnopeon
I never heard of rabbit trainers Kriegan. :D It wasn't staged.
rabbit trainers??? where do ya come up with this stuff dude????

Hallo,

Hmmm well it's easy for me to consider the possibility of it being staged for specific reasons. Number one, it was filmed in someone's backyard with his/her sprinkler on watering the grass. Secondly, what are the damn odds of a rabbit, a snake, and a duck being in the "wild" at the same time sooo close to each other?? This sounds like one of those staged documentaries on tv to show a spdecific animal's behaviour and educate the public. I saw the rabbit's agression to the snake first and then saw the snake striking back trying to escape, just like a cat playing with a mouse...only on rare ocassions does the mouse gets away like the snake.

I dunno, I feel the need to question this and there's nothing wrong about me wanting to analyze further the situation. The scenery where the video is shot resembles NOTHING like the wild, I bet the owner has a nice backyard with some ducks and rabbit pets and either the snake was the intruder or someone released it there, grabbed a camera and shot exactly what came next.

Let me make this clear. I am NOT undermining the rare possibility of someone having a camera at the precise moment supposedly something "so unexpected and natural happened in the wild" without no one planning it, but the odds of this IMO are very scarce, and I just see nothing more to it. I can't distinguish where the rabbits young are if this is the case, because the video is too blurry and is of very bad quality. Perhaps I'm color blind:p but I can not analyze the possibility of it not being staged. I have the right to disagree and ponder more in depth with the facts I'm observing, if it logically seems like it was staged for fun and internet distribution, or if it was not...My two cents in the matter.

Regards,
Ulrich
bro r u watching it full screen? if yar watching it full screen it makes the vid even more blurry and harder to look at the surroundings. i agree the setting is nothing more than a nice back patio someone has with ducks and stupid rabbits runnning around. i'm not sure if the situation was staged or not but i'm leaning more towards its fake cuz its like you said the chances of these 3 animals being so close to each other is very slim and this was not shot in the woods like some want to believe:? where the ;) are u people getting this is a wild setting and this is very common!!!!! look at the sprinkler in the middle of the patio for gods sake it's obvious the owner likes to keep or let bunnies ducks and snakes into his patio!!!! ya don;t see rabbit chasing snakes around with ducks to witness front seat unless you make it happen and record it. the only thing i see is a snake tha bunny, the duck and an unidentified obeject ssimilar to a rock in front of the rat snake that does not move. a very odd situation if that's the "young" ya plp r talking about for them not to move scared, it just stands there so it must be a rock. what diff does it make anyway???? i hate those stupid bunnies and dont care, have u ever tasted rabbit meat it's really good and tastes like chicken{D

i should go to the petshop and buy one to cook for me today i wouldn't keep it as a pet maybe the owner gives them food in the backyard to plump them up nicely and cook them in the stove for dinner once in a while;P

bugmankeith

Arachnoking
Old Timer
OMG I was making a point, who trains rabbits, Nobody. In other words, this wasnt staged.

Looks like they took the video off.

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Correct me if I heard it wrong, since the video sound wasn't the greatest, but doesn't the guy narrating the thing refer to the rabbit repeatedly as "HE"? It would be odd indeed for a male rabbit to have young to defend, and male rabbits normally play absolutely no part in the rearing of their offspring. Rabbits CAN be some nasty, bitey little buggers, as I've seen first-hand, and I'm not talking about the one in Monty Python and The Holy Grail, either. They have incisors similar to those of a rat, but much bigger than a rat's, and most of us have seen pictures, at least, of the damage that a rat bite can do to a snake(some of us have had a few trips to ER due to rodent bites severing arteries and lymph nodes, when the rodent in question was a little MOUSE), so you can imagine how bad a rabbit bite would be. You don't have to train a rabbit to be nasty; many male rabbits can be really aggressive anyway, and I've actually seen some that would go after dogs and cats, as well as people. A local pet shop had one of those acrylic display things with rabbits and Guinea pigs in it, and one of the rabbits actually mauled a Guinea pig to death, as well as biting several employees, resulting in him having to be put in "solitary confinement" with a warning sign. That poor Ratsnake most likely had some really severe bite injuries by the time it got to the safety of the tree, and the snake was certainly no threat to the rabbit. That's why I didn't find the video funny at all, myself. Most people would find it funny, I guess, because they dislike snakes and love cute little furry critters, which they perceive as harmless.

pitbulllady

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Just ask ex-president Jimmy Carter how aggressive they can be.

I have to confess, I'm a little confused by the outrage shown by some. I've seen plenty of links to videos showing the premature demise of various critters at the fangs of assorted herps and inverts, and these are often met with enthusiasm. I'm not going off as an ARA nutter here, I'm just observing that sometimes the circle of life can spin in the other direction.
For what it's worth, I don't think it was staged. At a rural setting, I don't think it would be all that unusual to see a duck, a rabbit and a snake in the same environment. I've personally seen rabbits feeding side-by-side with birds under a bird feeder, it isn't a stretch to think that a snake could wander into the scenario.

For those who are arriving late, the original video does seem to be gone, here it is on youtube.

[YOUTUBE]oNQmtSi0O94[/YOUTUBE]

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hallo,

Regards,
Ulrich
Hey Alrich, if you look at the video again you can see it's clearly not a duck. It's a small sparrow of some kind. A duck would be equal in size to an adult rabbit, also notice the rather elongated beak in the begining of the film also. I definently think this wasn't staged. I live sourrounded by farm land and have an open back yard just like the one in the video and I must confess I've seen some odd things before.

David_F

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Number one, it was filmed in someone's backyard with his/her sprinkler on watering the grass.
I live in an apartment building and have to practically kick the rabbits out of the way to get up the stairs to the entrance of my building at certain times of the year. I don't live in an urban area, really, but it's not exactly rural.

Secondly, what are the damn odds of a rabbit, a snake, and a duck being in the "wild" at the same time sooo close to each other??
Predator/prey relationship. They have to get close to each other eventually for the snake to eat all the tasty baby rabbits, right?

This sounds like one of those staged documentaries on tv to show a spdecific animal's behaviour and educate the public.
Possible. But I think if this was filmed in some guys back yard he 1) probably knew the animals were there and 2) has spent some time observing them. My dad spent a number of weeks watching the same black ratsnake going back to the same bird nest trying to steal the baby birds. He eventually saw the snake get close while the mother bird was gone so he chased it off (glad he didn't get a hold of the snake...he would have killed it :mad: ). Watch long enough and you'll get to see some cool stuff.

The scenery where the video is shot resembles NOTHING like the wild...
Rabbits aren't necessarily just "wild" animals. They're pests, much the same as rats, and probably worse than rats, in many areas. I actually see more rabbits at home than when I'm out herping, hunting, or fishing in "wild" areas.

....but doesn't the guy narrating the thing refer to the rabbit repeatedly as "HE"? It would be odd indeed for a male rabbit to have young to defend...
Pretty typical for your average American male to call every animal they see "he". As you mentioned, rabbits can be nasty buggers. I wouldn't go out and try to lift it's skirt. ;)

mikeythefireman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Not sure where you guys live, but it's not uncommon to see "wild" animals in backyards around here. Not a ton of snakes, usually, but plenty of quail (the "duck/sparrow in question I believe) rabbits, deer, skunk, etc. It doesn't make an animal less wild to be in a backyard with a sprinkler going. In fact, you will see a lot more animals if you regularly water at set times. Your yard becomes a watering hole.

I've seen wild bunnies fight/chase off cats, dogs, possums, birds of prey, and my nephew more than once. If you've never been bitten or scratched by a domestic bunny, you'd be shocked at the defense mechanisms these herbivores have.