R.junceus and REAL C.limbatus ;)

xVOWx

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
R.junceus and C.limbatus ;)

I got these from Southern Spider Works today, and of course new scorps means new pictures! x3 early instar Rhopalurus junceus and x3 sub-adult Centruroides limbatus, I'm pretty sure that two are adults though, if so then even better :D.

Rhopalurus junceus#1

R.junceus#2, there is still some of the old excuvium left on its metasoma from the last molt.

R.junceus#3

While I'm posting I thought I would show my method of transfering very small scorpions. I don't know if I picked it up somewhere on AB or if it's just one of my "bright ideas", either way it has proven the easiest way for me to transfer very young scorpions.
A:I start by placing the vial in the enclosure I plan on unpacking the scorpion in.
B:I basically just take two long sticks, use one to scare or nudge the scorpion and put the other stick in the path it's going to run, it sometimes takes a few tries but they ussually just run right up on it.
C:I then quickly lower the stick in the new enclosure. MOST of the scorplings I have used this with will crawl off the stick as soon as they can touch the ground. ***This method however is NOT foolproof*** as shown in pic#2, all three Rj ran straight up towards my hand. I had to blow downwards on it to stop it before I placed it in the vial.

And finally the three Centruroides limbatus (not gracilis hehehe). "Typical color morph" wich I think is quite beautiful. I have them set up in large/tall deli cups, I think I'm going to move the larger 2 into small KK's as I was expecting smaller scorps. The first two look like adults to me, it also looks like the first one might be female and the second male, this however I'm sure is just me seeing what I want to see:eek:. The third is quite a bit smaller than the other two, so I know that one, atleast, is not mature.

C.limbatus #1

C.limbatus #2

C.limbatus #3

Last edited:

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
very cool scorps! i like the c.limbatus alot,and that r.junceus is awesome too. seeing those i may have get me some.

xVOWx

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
If I end up with a pair you might just get some in a year or so ;). There are a few people breeding them right now also.

Scorpfanatic

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
wow... now you are making me impaitent to recieve my package of two diffrent color morph of c. limbatus! hahaha

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Well I just added another two species to my "GOTTA GET THEM BEFORE I DIE" list.

drapion

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
xVOWx welcome to the C.limbatus breeding ring..You are the 5th person that has these in the USA..They are an awesome species..Great pictures as well..The R.junceus are awesome too..You should come check out the venomlist.com
We have quite a bit of info on C.limbatus there including some breeding threads you should check out as well.. #1 looks like an adult female,#2 looks like an adult male and #3 looks like a 5th instar female to me.Awesome scorps you got.

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
So how much did the C. limbatus set you back? That's really cool to hear how rare they are in the US hobby . . . good luck breeding them!

I checked out Southern Spider Works' website, and I'm a little suspicious . . . they listed Heterometrus fulvipes as being a "hot," and I wasn't aware there were any dangerous species in family Scorpionidae.

Bayushi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm wondering how detrimental the remaining exuvem is going to be the that scorpling. it looks like it might cause blockage and prevent the little guy from defecating..

xVOWx

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I was wondering if I should try to remove it actually. I'm just not sure how I should go about this on such a small scorpion. I was thinking of pinning it down with some cotton and maybe gently tweezing the last of it off? Any ideas would help if it's decided that manualy removing the excuvium is necessary.

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm wondering how detrimental the remaining exuvem is going to be the that scorpling. it looks like it might cause blockage and prevent the little guy from defecating..
Good point, if the exo doesn't come off it will probaly die. One of my 4 babycurus died because it couldnt' get it's tail out in due time.

drapion

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Are you getting the red morph?
Theres no such thing as a red morph!!All adult females will turn a reddish color with age..Theres only your regular yellow morph and your dark morph that is almost black.

xVOWx

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Theres no such thing as a red morph!!All adult females will turn a reddish color with age..Theres only your regular yellow morph and your dark morph that is almost black.
That's interesting, looks like mine is a fairly new adult then. Now any sugestions on what to do with "mister molt tale"?

Bayushi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I guess you could try mineral oil to loosen it up, but seeing how i have never encountered this problem you might wanna wait til someone with experiences in saving scorps from a bad moult pipes in their $.02

xVOWx

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yeah, I've never had a molt prob before, I wouldn't even think it might become a problem if it wasn't possibly blocking the scorps anus.