R.I.P. Scarecrow *sigh*

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
What about cuticle trimmers, like for manicures? Also, fine tip tweezers might be helpful. These things should be available at the local pharmacy shop like a Walgreens or CVS or whatever you have. Might want to pick up something smaller than the box cutter, I would suggest an Exacto knife, I think you can get those at someplace such as Walmart or Target.
I will acquire these items today! I went to walgreens and asked the pharmacist if they sold scalpels and he looked at me like I was a serial killer. So I guess they don't sell them in drug stores 'round these parts lol!

I feel like the above Box cutter is too bulky and cumbersome to delicately conduct this experiment. I think I'll try a hardware or craft store for something less industrial.

Tomorrow is probably the big day... So keep following if you like, I will probably begin another thread for the "autopsy" - well see.

Meanwhile, PLEASE PLEASE if anyone sees this and has any info that hasn't been addressed post it here. I can use as much help as I can get and I only get one shot!!

That's peeps!

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
disposable scalpels can be had all over Amazon and eBay, You could also look at a good Hobby store.

Leonardo the Mage

Arachnosquire
I will acquire these items today! I went to walgreens and asked the pharmacist if they sold scalpels and he looked at me like I was a serial killer. So I guess they don't sell them in drug stores 'round these parts lol!

I feel like the above Box cutter is too bulky and cumbersome to delicately conduct this experiment. I think I'll try a hardware or craft store for something less industrial.

Tomorrow is probably the big day... So keep following if you like, I will probably begin another thread for the "autopsy" - well see.

Meanwhile, PLEASE PLEASE if anyone sees this and has any info that hasn't been addressed post it here. I can use as much help as I can get and I only get one shot!!

That's peeps!
Michal's has exacto knifes with all sorts of blades, and I have seen bulk boxes with one handle and all sorts of blades. The regular blades should work just fine though. Most craft stores and hardware stores sell the regular ones, or sometimes other brands that are identical. Look for a long steel handle with small, triangular blades that can be removed.

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I plan to do this thing today or tomorrow. But I need to get all the supplies -I realize now I need more than I thought!

Any MUCH needed thawing advice???

Octagon

Arachnoperson
You could thaw her by leaving her out at room temp for a couple of hours or alternatively by putting her in the fridge overnight. I don't know if to thaw faster or slower would be better; I suspect it wouldn't make much difference either way...

Leonardo the Mage

Arachnosquire
@MrsHaas The best way people thaw out meat for cooking is supposed to be laying it out on a metal tray. I know I don't have to tell you this, but for anyone in the future reading this thread, dead Tarantulas stink to high heaven. Whatever you do, DO NOT WARM OR THAW A CORPS IN A MICROWAVE OR OVEN!

Octagon

Arachnoperson
@MrsHaas The best way people thaw out meat for cooking is supposed to be laying it out on a metal tray. I know I don't have to tell you this, but for anyone in the future reading this thread, dead Tarantulas stink to high heaven. Whatever you do, DO NOT WARM OR THAW A CORPS IN A MICROWAVE OR OVEN!
Not to borrow trouble here, but that brings to mind something else you might want to have in case she is smelly...a scarf to wrap over your nose. Personally, I find that surprisingly effective when faced with smelly things!

Leonardo the Mage

Arachnosquire
Unless you wish to get rid of an unwelcome house guest.
Expensive way to get rid of a guest. I know for a fact you will need a new microwave or oven if you did that.

(Four years later: Mmm honey, I can still taste the rotting tarantula organs! )

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
My mom actually had to have surgery so I've been tending to her and trying to help out until she's fully healed. So I am sorry to report that I have nothing yet to report.

No, I will not be microwaving the sub lol - I will prob put her in the fridge to thaw a bit and then under a lamp if more thawing is needed. My goal is to have her at room temperature.

I also need to go somewhere to find an exato knife... Using a box cutter will likely be too bulky and cumbersome.

I'll start a new thread and update step by step once I put my lab coat on, so to speak lol

Leonardo the Mage

Arachnosquire
It almost sounds like you are speaking from experience!
I did a science fair project in fourth grade on the anatomy of the digestive system of Tarantulas. I used a MF G. rosea who died while I was writing the script (due to natural causes,) as a prop. I got to the citywide level, but by that time, she stank so bad no one would go need my booth. That was likely why I didn't get further.
Long story short, two month old tarantula corpses make survisable stand ins for mustard gas.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Hey MRsHass.. Sorry about the troubles with your Mom I hope she recovers fast..
A little advice for when you get around to doing the necropsy though.. Get some vics vapor rub and put it under your nose before you open her up..
I also would defrost her in a cooler packed with ice to keep her stable.. I don't think it's a good idea to have her defrosting where you keep your food.. The smell will permiate everything and there is also the risk of contamination from bacteria..

Octagon

Arachnoperson
I did a science fair project in fourth grade on the anatomy of the digestive system of Tarantulas. I used a MF G. rosea who died while I was writing the script (due to natural causes,) as a prop. I got to the citywide level, but by that time, she stank so bad no one would go need my booth. That was likely why I didn't get further.
Long story short, two month old tarantula corpses make survisable stand ins for mustard gas.
It's a shame your project got "stunk out"!

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hey MRsHass.. Sorry about the troubles with your Mom I hope she recovers fast..
A little advice for when you get around to doing the necropsy though.. Get some vics vapor rub and put it under your nose before you open her up..
I also would defrost her in a cooler packed with ice to keep her stable.. I don't think it's a good idea to have her defrosting where you keep your food.. The smell will permiate everything and there is also the risk of contamination from bacteria..
VERRRRY GOOD ADVICE! I didn't think of that. I'll put her in a tray over ice in a cooler for a whil til. She seems moveable and not rock solid. Does that sound like the right plan when if comes to defrosting?

14pokies

Arachnoprince
VERRRRY GOOD ADVICE! I didn't think of that. I'll put her in a tray over ice in a cooler for a whil til. She seems moveable and not rock solid. Does that sound like the right plan when if comes to defrosting?
Never done it but I would say yes..I would imagine you woudn't want her completely mushy..