Feedback Quoting???????

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Listen I need some guidance on posting here. Some nameless mod told me they are merging my posts, says there's a way to edit posts...I don't see how to add in quoted content into a previous post of mine using the edit feature.

When I click on edit there is no "insert quote" button.

I only see insert quotes button upon the first time I make a post. Once a post it, there's no insert quotes button.

So the nameless mod is going to keep merging until I know differently.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Here's what my edit window looks like...no INSERT QUOTES button, there has never been a way for me to do what the nameloss mod told me to do.

q.JPG

Arachnopets

Arachnoboards Team
Staff member
Hi! *waves*, I'm the "nameless mod". Not every one of your posts, that I merge, include a quote. You could always multi quote (+ Quote) before you hit that little post reply button.

Pssst ...Discussing our moderation in public is against the rules. I know for a fact that you already know that. ;)

Debby

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Listen I need some guidance on posting here. Some nameless mod told me they are merging my posts, says there's a way to edit posts...I don't see how to add in quoted content into a previous post of mine using the edit feature.

When I click on edit there is no "insert quote" button.

I only see insert quotes button upon the first time I make a post. Once a post it, there's no insert quotes button.

So the nameless mod is going to keep merging until I know differently.
There's actually 2 ways that this can be done, although only one way with the edit feature.

The first is based on the expectation of how forums should be used which is to read the entire thread and then reply (this isn't facebook :rofl:) This is where multi-quote comes in. As you read a thread you click the multi-quote 1589937148397.png on each post that you would like to respond to. Then, when you get to the bottom of the page, you click "Insert Quotes" and everything you clicked on will be inserted nice and neatly formatted into a single post.

1589938795237.png

The second way, which is how to insert a quote into an edited post, also takes the expectation of how forums should be used (see above ;)). If we go under the assumption that the multi-quote feature is being used as it should be, then there would be no reason to add an additional quote into a previously made post (it's why there is no "insert quotes" button in the edit window.)

So lets say a user replies to the first post in a thread without reading any of the other posts (lets say there are 3 posts for example), then after posting their reply, they scroll back and read post 2 and want to reply to it. What should be done at this point, (other than also reading post 3, seeing if they want to reply to that as well and use multi-quote ;) ) is to click reply 1589938390527.png , type out their response, and, instead of clicking "Post reply", to copy their reply (with the new quote included), click "edit" on their own post and pasting the new content below their previous reply.

In short, other than for users "bumping" posts in the classifieds, there is really no reason why there should be more than one post in a row from a single user in the same thread.

Regards,
MrD

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hi! *waves*, I'm the "nameless mod". Not every one of your posts, that I merge, include a quote. You could always multi quote (+ Quote) before you hit that little post reply button.

Pssst ...Discussing our moderation in public is against the rules. I know for a fact that you already know that. ;)

Debby
Hey Debby!!! Actually in this case I thought it was OK to mention because it had to with me specifically in the context of AB forum functionality, vs "outting" some bad behavior like a kid in the principal's office. I don't want detention. I will not mention any mod comments in the future.

There's actually 2 ways that this can be done, although only one way with the edit feature.

The first is based on the expectation of how forums should be used which is to read the entire thread and then reply (this isn't facebook :rofl:) This is where multi-quote comes in. As you read a thread you click the multi-quote View attachment 345277 on each post that you would like to respond to. Then, when you get to the bottom of the page, you click "Insert Quotes" and everything you clicked on will be inserted nice and neatly formatted into a single post.

View attachment 345280

The second way, which is how to insert a quote into an edited post, also takes the expectation of how forums should be used (see above ;)). If we go under the assumption that the multi-quote feature is being used as it should be, then there would be no reason to add an additional quote into a previously made post (it's why there is no "insert quotes" button in the edit window.)

So lets say a user replies to the first post in a thread without reading any of the other posts (lets say there are 3 posts for example), then after posting their reply, they scroll back and read post 2 and want to reply to it. What should be done at this point, (other than also reading post 3, seeing if they want to reply to that as well and use multi-quote ;) ) is to click reply View attachment 345279 , type out their response, and, instead of clicking "Post reply", to copy their reply (with the new quote included), click "edit" on their own post and pasting the new content below their previous reply.

In short, other than for users "bumping" posts in the classifieds, there is really no reason why there should be more than one post in a row from a single user in the same thread.

Regards,
MrD
First of all- thank you.:D

2. I like multi-quote and have used it.
3. I never have used Trashbook (once) :vomit:

4. What I normally do is read, but sometimes I don't see all the posts. I highlight with RIGHT click of my mouse and do that frequently across many posts in the same thread, and then I insert quotes. I find this short cut to be SUPER COOL!

5. I do think one should be able to EDIT, and insert new quotes in the manner one originally quotes, versus reply, copy, EDIT my first post, and then paste the additional information I learned of. This c/p business is too cumbersome, too much clicking.

Sometimes you notice something later, or maybe you don't read all posts from beginning to end at times;)

Lastly, the latest revision of the forum has improved the user experience on my iphone a lot!

I still like TapTalk better, but this new version is PRETTY GOOD.

Last edited:

cold blood

Staff member
Lol, I merge your posts multiple times every day, have been since I became a mod...lol I just don't tell you because the content hasn't changed. hehe

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Lol, I merge your posts multiple times every day, have been since I became a mod...lol I just don't tell you because the content hasn't changed. hehe
But we would appreciate it if we didn't have to do this so often. ;)