Quite possibly the most annoying aspect of the T business...

JMoran1097

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Finding top name T's in generic pet stores that are kept in horrendous conditions.

and

Finding top name T's in specialty reptile stores that are well cared for but are overcharged for. (Who the hell would pay 40 dollars for a juvenile A.Avic???!?!)

DrGigglez666

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Finding top name T's in generic pet stores that are kept in horrendous conditions.

and

Finding top name T's in specialty reptile stores that are well cared for but are overcharged for. (Who the hell would pay 40 dollars for a juvenile A.Avic???!?!)

i defiently wouldnt thats damn ridiculous pet stores dont kno crap about tarantulas juss common names id tell em 2 lower it or it will juss sit there and die!!

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

and

That's why you almost NEVER buy from petstores. THey are either in bad condition or overpriced. Sometimes both. I know you wanna save and help Ts somtimes, but they'll only add another since they made business with that one.

Just go to online PROFFESSINAL dealers and breeders. You are much better off.

JMoran1097

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
That's why you almost NEVER buy from petstores. THey are either in bad condition or overpriced. Sometimes both. I know you wanna save and help Ts somtimes, but they'll only add another since they made business with that one.

Just go to online PROFFESSINAL dealers and breeders. You are much better off.
yeah no, i only went in to get feeder crix. they had a P.Regalis kept on bark chips with a hide in a terribly small enclosure and were only going to charge 15 bucks!! but seriously, i'm not down to have an unhealthy T regardless of the great price.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
yeah no, i only went in to get feeder crix. they had a P.Regalis kept on bark chips with a hide in a terribly small enclosure and were only going to charge 15 bucks!! but seriously, i'm not down to have an unhealthy T regardless of the great price.
Aw poor Poecilotheria regalis. If I were you I would try to educate them by telling them what's proper and not proper for that species, and basic tarantula care.

Katronmaster

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Heh, What I see often at the local place is the poorly kept overpriced Ts, at an exotic specialty shop... and the owner swearing that's how they should be kept.

Last I checked, B. emilia don't like soaked sand, which would explain why she was hanging from the KK lid.

Online breeders are a lifesaver...

DrGigglez666

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
crap

and

i defiently wouldnt thats damn ridiculous pet stores dont kno crap about tarantulas juss common names id tell em 2 lower it or it will juss sit there and die!!

JMoran1097

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Aw poor Poecilotheria regalis. If I were you I would try to educate them by telling them what's proper and not proper for that species, and basic tarantula care.
i almost feel like a dick for walking in there and trying to tell them how to run a business, but it's for the animal's sake so I'll bring it up to the guys in there next time.

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
But, that doesn't necessarily mean you can't regularly patrol exotic petstores for good deals on species they don't even know they have. I found a mature male A. seemani for like $15. A time when there were like none circulating.

There was a new species of blue Chilobrachys being brought in through shipments of Haplopelma lividum recently. There's always good deals somewhere.

-Sean

JMoran1097

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Heh, What I see often at the local place is the poorly kept overpriced Ts, at an exotic specialty shop... and the owner swearing that's how they should be kept.

Last I checked, B. emilia don't like soaked sand, which would explain why she was hanging from the KK lid.

Online breeders are a lifesaver...
exotic pet store owners, especially the <edit -MrI> that owns Strickly Reptiles here in Riverside, are such douches. Seriously, i don't think i've ever met an exotic store owner that didn't have an ego problem.

Last edited by a moderator:

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
If something is kept poorly or wrong, you have the right to speak up and be as mean as you want to about it, but don't be mean or rude; they won't take your advice if you are.

JungleGuts

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
yup the majority of pet stores suck, but good ones are out there also...just not nearly enough of them:wall:

most the places should get charged with animal cruelity

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
most the places should get charged with animal cruelity
You know, I've said this a thousand times but, I must ask Why?

You kill more invertebrates driving to the store then they kill in a week. No matter how much you want to anthropomorphize tarantulas, they're still just invertebrates. With no concept of pain, nor understanding of mistreatment. They don't cry, or realize they've had no chance at reproduction. They're just like the mosquitoe you squash because its a nuisance, if you can rationalize that, the logic inevitably transfers to the care of theraphosids. Especially since the owners probably don't like spiders.

-Sean

JMoran1097

Arachnoangel
Old Timer

You kill more invertebrates driving to the store then they kill in a week. No matter how much you want to anthropomorphize tarantulas, they're still just invertebrates. With no concept of pain, nor understanding of mistreatment. They don't cry, or realize they've had no chance at reproduction. They're just like the mosquitoe you squash because its a nuisance, if you can rationalize that, the logic inevitably transfers to the care of theraphosids. Especially since the owners probably don't like spiders.

-Sean
not like i really care, but that's a terribly poor response sean. that's no excuse or rationale. do you eat meat? just curious.

kyrga

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
not like i really care, but that's a terribly poor response sean. that's no excuse or rationale. do you eat meat? just curious.
He does make a valid point, as much as I hate seeing the way petstores keep Ts. I'm not saying it's right or anything, but we do kill loads of spiders and insects.

...and what does eating meat have at all to do with Ts?

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
...and what does eating meat have at all to do with Ts?
I'm wondering the same thing. In fact, that strengthens my argument.
Of course I do, I love it. My favorite is a nice big burger off the grill.

Its a perfectly legitimate argument. If its so poor, you should fine it easy to rebuke.

-Sean

Slash

Arachnosquire
Old Timer

-Sean
You may be right, however, its the principle that counts.

A pet store is a business...and if the owners aren't scumbags, they more than likely are aware of and acknowledge a little something known as "business ethics." And I'll stop there because I can go on forever from that point. :D

JungleGuts

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
theres still animals and its still cruel. thats my opinion at least

Hamburglar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm wondering the same thing. In fact, that strengthens my argument.
Of course I do, I love it. My favorite is a nice big burger off the grill.

Its a perfectly legitimate argument. If its so poor, you should fine it easy to rebuke.

-Sean

I think the flip side to the argument would be that many people see a difference between letting a cow waste away in a field and killing it quickly in a slaughter house. Letting a cow waste away can be a crime, whereas, slaughtering it is not.... so is letting a tarantula waste away in a pet shop different than killing it quickly under your foot? Not that I am taking sides.. but I think it would be hard to prosecute somebody for letting a bug die or live in unsatisfactory conditions. I think it would be better to make it a violation against a local health code that is punishable by a fine... At least localities could see a little more revenue possibly.... :)

By-Tor

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Assisted living facilities, that's all i've got to say. I've seen' em and would rather be the bug put in the freezer