Quite a bit worried...

Twistedrayne

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'm aware that Emps aren't usually the most terribly active of critters, but I'm worrying about mine. He hasn't eaten for I'd say at least a week, the same cricket has been in there for a while and hasn't been touched. For several days straight he stayed on the edge of the encloser, and the other day he went into his hide and hasn't come out at all since. I am fearing the worst. =/

paul fleming

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
grab hold of it and have a look....it wont bite.
Take it's cover off (hide) it and see if it moves.Grab it on the second segment behind the sting and put it on your hand (not too far from the floor....don't want to drop it) and see if it moves.
A week is nothing mate and these are nocturnal by the way.
I am sure it is ok.
I handle mine all the time so there are no worries for the scorp or you.....have a look.
My emps keep the kids up at night (their pets in their bedroom,their chioce...lol) so they are very active at night.
Paul

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
it's fine. when it doesnt eat for months, then worry. if the scorpion hasnt eaten the food after about a day take it out, it most likely means its not hungry and will ignore the cricket.

John

Twistedrayne

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I find it spooky that Paul is helping me. I am also a Paul. lol

So basically I should just handle it very slightly just to see if it moves and is alive, and if it is, then there are probably no worries at all? I was mainly worried because it's been so long since he ate, because he normally eats rather quickly every few days.

I'll take hold of him and see if he's still active. Thanks. =)

paul fleming

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I find it spooky that Paul is helping me. I am also a Paul. lol

So basically I should just handle it very slightly just to see if it moves and is alive, and if it is, then there are probably no worries at all? I was mainly worried because it's been so long since he ate, because he normally eats rather quickly every few days.

I'll take hold of him and see if he's still active. Thanks. =)
you dont have to handle it to see if it is still alive (which I am certain it is) it will move as soon as you disturb it.
I handle mine every few months just to see how they are doing,they are fine to handle as long as you follow the rules.
A few months without eating is no biggie with these.....you worry too much.
Could also be coming up for a molt.....how old/big is it?
Get back to us as soon as you know.....but again.....only handle if you are confident and their pinch is a lot worse than their bite.
I handle pokies and sun tigers so these are pussycats to me ....lol
Paul

calum

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
As the others have pointed out, your scorpion is fine. They can be pretty random sometimes in thier behaviour, don't worry about it.