Quickly addicted, plus questions.

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
It really didn't take long at all for me to get addicted to Tarantulas. I bought my first two as slings back at the end of January. Roughly a week later I had to have another. I decided to go with one of the more common beginner Ts and got my little G. pulchripes.
Absolutely love the little goof and the entertaining behavior. So much so that yesterday I was at the local Reptile/Tarantula store and after much deliberation I ended up bringing two more home. I was very surprised to see that one of the new slings was nearly the size of the one I already had. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing these 3 grow along with my GBB and P. fasciata.

Now my problem is that I also saw some A. geroldi that both my wife and I loved the look of. I held off on buying them just because I could find so little about them quickly enough to be comfortable.
Does anyone have experience with these that they could share? I've read that Avics in general are somewhat difficult to keep, what are these difficulties? I remember reading that they need more ventilation. I'm sure there are other issues I should be aware of as well. Any and all help will be most appreciated!

mistertim

Arachnobaron
A. geroldi I have never kept but I doubt it would be any different than other Avics. Make sure there's water and good ventilation. I'd be a tad more worried about that Pokie as far as a closer to beginner tarantula. Can you post pictures of your setup?

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
A. geroldi I have never kept but I doubt it would be any different than other Avics. Make sure there's water and good ventilation. I'd be a tad more worried about that Pokie as far as a closer to beginner tarantula. Can you post pictures of your setup?
I wasn't sure about any differences between species of Avic. Since my experiences with reptiles have taught me how drastically different species within a given Genus could be, I wanted to double and triple check.
I know Poecilotheria are not necessarily for beginners, a few here already gave me a nice lecture and some advice too ;) I can admit I jumped in the deep end right from the start. I might have a decent photo of the new setup on my photos topic here: http://arachnoboards.com/threads/my-ts-photo-collection.292021

If there isn't one yet I will try posting a few in there when I have time. I don't mean to sound rude, I would just rather keep this topic closer to the A. geroldi (or Avics in general) question and my newfound appreciation for Ts. I would love advice and input from someone more experienced to help me with the fasciata though :)

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
Of course, they are like Heroin and saying "I quit when I want", the 'mantra' of the vintage junkies of the late '70, doesn't work.
Yeah, I almost wish one of my local friends that keep Ts had warned me of how easy it is to fall for these little ones.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Yeah, I almost wish one of my local friends that keep Ts had warned me of how easy it is to fall for these little ones.
I'm lucky, I don't have that 'problem', I manage to control well that addiction :)

While I always had arachnids (90% T's, started when I was a teen) since I have other addictions nor I want to dedicate a room (space can become an issue, one moment) only for those, I'm fine with my little collection that in 2017 counts 15 T's (mostly Africans and NW intermediate) and 1 Asian centipede :pompous:

Edit:

Aw... actually I have 2 Asian centipedes (S.subspinipes) because the son/daughter of my female lives in my garden: but he/she's for him/herself... so I can't count that u_u

Last edited:

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
I'm lucky, I don't have that 'problem', I manage to control well that addiction :)

While I always had arachnids (90% T's, started when I was a teen) since I have other addictions nor I want to dedicate a room (space can become an issue, one moment) only for those, I'm fine with my little collection that in 2017 counts 15 T's (mostly Africans and NW intermediate) and 1 Asian centipede :pompous:
So far I think I'm doing fairly well. Only 5 Ts that might go as high as 7. Another reason I wanted more info on geroldi. I will be out of space after them :(
I am definitely doing far better than I would with my original obsession of snakes. Being in Massachusetts does put some limitations on what I can get as far as those go. Same with spacial limits. In the, hopefully, not too distant future we will be relocating back towards the West Coast. Hopefully then I can dedicate an entire room to my hobbies.
Out of curiosity, what species do you have?

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Out of curiosity, what species do you have?
T's: all are females aside for two slings*

Megaphobema robustum
Brachypelma albopilosum
(very old)
Brachypelma vagans
Psalmopoeus cambridgei
Pterinochilus murinus
Ceratogyrus marshalli
Ceratogyrus darlingi
Hysterocrates gigas
Pelinobius muticus
Grammostola pulchripes
Acanthoscurria geniculata
Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens
Ephebopus murinus
Grammostola rosea *
Brachypelma smithi *

Centipedes:

female Scolopendra subspinipes
unsexed Scolopendra subspinipes (one of Mommy's brats) living in the garden

In the past I had Asian T's of course (genus Chilobrachys, 'Haplos') and other NW intermediate (like P.cancerides etc)

I'm not an 'avic' man at all, nor too much arboreal in general, btw :-s

Also I love to trade when I have the chance... gave away recently a couple of Ceratogyrus slings and packed and shipped 24 S.subspinipes pedelings.

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
I actually just picked up an A. geroldi, this thread has lots of info on them (and photos), give it a readthrough! Ignore our arguing over the color blue though lol

And if it was from the same shop we talked about yesterday, we'll have sac mates! I say go for it :D
http://arachnoboards.com/threads/avicularia-geroldi.291605/page-3#post-2597137
I think I did see that topic yesterday when I was browsing for info. I will definitely look again though, even at the arguing :D
Yes, it is from the same shop as yesterday. After the experiences the last two visits, I think I'm going to be sticking with them only for Ts and some of my reptile supplies. The people there are very easy going and happy to help out with all sorts of questions. After looking through your thread again I will bring up the debate with my last remaining obstacle, my wife lol

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
T's: all are females aside for two slings*

Megaphobema robustum
Brachypelma albopilosum
(very old)
Brachypelma vagans
Psalmopoeus cambridgei
Pterinochilus murinus
Ceratogyrus marshalli
Ceratogyrus darlingi
Hysterocrates gigas
Pelinobius muticus
Grammostola pulchripes
Acanthoscurria geniculata
Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens
Ephebopus murinus
Grammostola rosea *
Brachypelma smithi *

Centipedes:

female Scolopendra subspinipes
unsexed Scolopendra subspinipes (one of Mommy's brats) living in the garden

In the past I had Asian T's of course (genus Chilobrachys, 'Haplos') and other NW intermediate (like P.cancerides etc)

I'm not an 'avic' man at all, nor too much arboreal in general, btw :-s

Also I love to trade when I have the chance... gave away recently a couple of Ceratogyrus slings and packed and shipped 24 S.subspinipes pedelings.
That is definitely a nice selection! I admit I'm not familiar with many of those. You listing them does give me a basis to start learning though. Honestly that was a big part of why I asked, I enjoy looking up and learning about new animals. I know next to nothing of centipedes however, just that some have a very nasty bite.
I think one reason for my interest in arboreals is how attractive the housing can be, as opposed to some of the basic dirt plots I see for terrestrials.

Paiige

Arachnobaron
I think I did see that topic yesterday when I was browsing for info. I will definitely look again though, even at the arguing :D
Yes, it is from the same shop as yesterday. After the experiences the last two visits, I think I'm going to be sticking with them only for Ts and some of my reptile supplies. The people there are very easy going and happy to help out with all sorts of questions. After looking through your thread again I will bring up the debate with my last remaining obstacle, my wife lol
I buy the majority of my Ts there, I'm a bit wary about ordering online (especially in the winter obviously) and I have a great experience every time I go there. It's worth the drive and they update their stock pretty regularly.

And the A. geroldi is happy and healthy, has been a great eater so far and I suspect will be molting soon. I may go back and get another if it turns out male.

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
I buy the majority of my Ts there, I'm a bit wary about ordering online (especially in the winter obviously) and I have a great experience every time I go there. It's worth the drive and they update their stock pretty regularly.

And the A. geroldi is happy and healthy, has been a great eater so far and I suspect will be molting soon. I may go back and get another if it turns out male.
If I can get the green light, and they are still available, I think I will be picking up 2 of them on Monday. I am going to be bringing a friend up there for supplies for her ball python, and hopefully to get others to help me out in correcting her habits and husbandry with the snake.

I have gone to a few of the "exotic" pet stores around the greater Boston area and by far this one has the most to offer all around. I won't speak ill of the others however.

Charlottesweb17

Arachnopeon
It really didn't take long at all for me to get addicted to Tarantulas. I bought my first two as slings back at the end of January. Roughly a week later I had to have another. I decided to go with one of the more common beginner Ts and got my little G. pulchripes.
Absolutely love the little goof and the entertaining behavior. So much so that yesterday I was at the local Reptile/Tarantula store and after much deliberation I ended up bringing two more home. I was very surprised to see that one of the new slings was nearly the size of the one I already had. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing these 3 grow along with my GBB and P. fasciata.

Now my problem is that I also saw some A. geroldi that both my wife and I loved the look of. I held off on buying them just because I could find so little about them quickly enough to be comfortable.
Does anyone have experience with these that they could share? I've read that Avics in general are somewhat difficult to keep, what are these difficulties? I remember reading that they need more ventilation. I'm sure there are other issues I should be aware of as well. Any and all help will be most appreciated!
I got addicted with my first two as well, now looking at what to get next, all my favs are hard to find but looking.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I know next to nothing of centipedes however, just that some have a very nasty bite.
Asian ones, definitely. Their bite is brutal. But on that sense the NW ones (like S.gigantea etc) aren't a joke at all. A thing is, unlike for T's, the selection/availability for centipedes or "starter/beginners centipedes" isn't full of choices like for T's. Here everyone (almost) keep T's, not so much centipedes, sadly :-/

as opposed to some of the basic dirt plots I see for terrestrials.
Ah ah, it's only "me" and "all of my friends living down under" ah ah :kiss: I love to keep, watch, enjoy huge massive inches of dirt with a nice sized web-hole, there's also something perverted in that viewed from a different perspective, I tell you :pompous:

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
avics are easy. they just need more vent than other tarantulas, and are more susceptible to stuffy cages. theyre just as hardy as a porteri when set up right.

Paiige

Arachnobaron
:banghead::banghead:

There's no fact or logic to support your wariness.
I used to work for Fedex. That's all I need. :bag:

I've seen all the threads and data advocating it - to each their own, and not to say I'll never order through an online seller - I just have strong personal feelings on the matter. Fortunately I have a great LPS, and that's worked fine for me.

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
From what I have seen the past year or two, centipedes are growing in popularity. I find them fascinating, but I have a better chance of convincing my wife to let me own an Oxyuranus microlepidotus (Inland taipan/Fierce snake) than a centipede lol

I do actually like the big terrestrial Ts. Just have a little more to look at in an arboreal enclosure. I may just not be familiar with enough though. My firsthand terrestrial experience is limited to G. pulchripes and a GBB sling after all. :D

Charlottesweb17

Arachnopeon
I live in one of the coldest parts of Canada and mine were shipped by Canada Post in a heated container in the dead of winter. Mine arrived fine.