quick urticating question...

Midnight1983

Arachnopeon
Hey,
whats the best way of removing urticating hairs? I've heard sticky tape but I have none.
If I just wash with soap + water will that get rid of them? It's just on my left hand and forearm

thanks all

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Sometimes you can take a credit card and scrap the top of the affected area. But even with tape and soap and water and all the other methods you pretty much get to ride out the itchiness and plot for next time so you don't get tagged again. :D

Midnight1983

Arachnopeon
I'll definatley be doin that for next time!! it werent from the T herself, it was from the substrate in her tank (that I was changing), they use hairs to mark their territory I heard (esp. in and around burrow / hide)
Gimme a brain I'd be dangerous :)
Cheers pal

JMoran1097

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
haha oh man, you didn't even get tagged the honorable way too! the ol' "hair in substrate" routine is always a pain in the ass.

julesaussies

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i got nailed yesterday by a gorgeous B. smithi. It went all over the inside of my arm from the elbow joint to my wrist. i didn't actually have a clue what to do but i was afraid wiping it off might make it worse so i blew it off. Then i ran my arm under some running water, patted it dry and sprayed Bactine. Absolutely no reaction, itching or rash. There was a lot of hair kicked up too and i have very sensitive skin. i will usually get a rash just from their claws when they walk on me. i don't know if i just got lucky but i will probably try this if the need should arise in the future.

massmorels

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
scolding hot water feels pretty good.. seriously, take it from me.. it would know. Considering Im the MOST sensitive person to urtication in the ENTIRE world! see for yourself. After a while you just get used to it.. and people ask why Im phasing out all my new world Ts.. :rolleyes:

KaineSoulblade

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I always use soap and water just for good measure, to ensure I don't contaminate anyone else or the other pets.

Though urticating hairs don't bother me a bit, I eat them for breakfast.

AfterTheAsylum

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
scolding hot water feels pretty good.. seriously, take it from me.. it would know. Considering Im the MOST sensitive person to urtication in the ENTIRE world! see for yourself. After a while you just get used to it.. and people ask why Im phasing out all my new world Ts.. :rolleyes:
Scalding water does not get rid of itching. It activates your pain sensors and overrides the itching. I know this because i talked to my skin doctor about the hairs. It can do damage to you by doing this method. That said, I still use the scalding water trick.

Since I house mostly T. blondi, I can understand. Worst place to get tagged - inside of the elbow. Other than that, I have inhaled airborne blondi hair. Now that sucks. To answer the questions, blowing off the hairs is always what has worked best for me. In the case of messing with dirt, try blowing, then try tape, but not like a lint brush. The tape will have an electrical charge when you pull it off the dispenser. Glide it above the affected area and most of the hairs will come out. After that, get anouther piece of tape, tilt it, and run it down the affected area. Pushing the tape down on the skin can make it much worse.

ATA

IdahoBiteyThing

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
glue?

Has anyone ever tried using glue (like white Elmer's)? I use it for cactus spines; you know, the little tiny ones that you can't see. I put the glue on in a decently thick layer, let it dry then peel it off, if I have a lot, I put tissues or gauze on top of the glue for more substance. I have no idea if this would work for T hairs, has anyone tried it?

G. pulchra

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I use a good amount of soap and warm water, takes them right off.

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
i dont know i heard that rubbing panty hose on the area where you have them will get them off . but i would throw the hose way unless you really want to start some itching ROTFLOL

By-Tor

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
JMorgan, i think you missed what you said "is always a pain in the ass." come on come on you gotta focus at what is being said!!!

I've only been hair twice and never noticed anything, but i figure benedryl cream would help with itching and swelling...

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
How do you burn them off? I can't even see them in me half the time. :confused:
i just flame my hands with a lighter or candle if they are bothering me. i wouldnt really want to do that to any other places on my body though, as i have been growing a fur suit for the last decade or so

@IBT
that glue thing sounds very interesting

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
i just flame my hands with a lighter or candle if they are bothering me. i wouldnt really want to do that to any other places on my body though, as i have been growing a fur suit for the last decade or so

@IBT
Those ideas both sound like they would work, I'm gonna try it next time I get it with a bunch of hairs.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

@IBT
All this talking about getting tagged with hairs my body must have missed it, bcause for the first time in a long time I went home did some checking up on and feeding and watering, decided to take a picture of my Vagans male that matured a week or so ago, and he tagged me so dang good I think I am going to rip my hands off. My fingers are burning and inbetween good grief. :(
To make matters worse right after that I mean minutes later I got tagged by my pissed off smithi mommy thats still guarding her sac with cotton in it. I am going to go weep now. ITTTTTT BURRRNSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!