Quick Thinking

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Sometimes this hobby requires us to have ingenuity on the fly. I was dumb, and I didn't plan ahead.

I was rehousing a juvenile H. maculata in the way that I always do - enclosure in the middle of an empty floor, catch cup nearby. Well, I soon found that my catch cup was far too large. The spider ran onto my arm and nearly into my shirt. Thankfully, I grabbed my sleeve, and she ran onto the other arm. With my catch cup the size that it was, it was useless to just put it over my arm. My solution? A syringe. I quick grabbed it, yanked off the plunger with my teeth, and got her in the syringe. The plunger was put back on until I could situate myself.

IMG_0865.JPG ---------- IMG_0866.JPG

"I'm going to need 60cc's of maculata, stat!"

magicmed

Arachnobaron
Glad it all went well, I'll have to remember different sizes of catch cups!

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
"I'm going to need 60cc's of maculata, stat!"
Love the picture! Now all you need to do is stick a big needle on the end of that syringe and you can trigger two different phobias at once! :eek:

But seriously, good thinking to use the syringe! Glad it all worked out ok!

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
I am terrified of needles... And, I have a newfound terror of wasps, anyone know what type of venom they have?

Great picture Eulers, I'm glad I have nothing but improv catch cups for the various speedy inverts I keep.

magicmed

Arachnobaron
Love the picture! Now all you need to do is stick a big needle on the end of that syringe and you can trigger two different phobias at once! :eek:

But seriously, good thinking to use the syringe! Glad it all worked out ok!
You just gave some arachnophobe nightmares of spiders crawling in their veins somewhere lol

shining

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
*wraps tourniquet around upper arm and slaps the small of my elbow*

Hit me, hit me!

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
*wraps tourniquet around upper arm and slaps the small of my elbow*

Hit me, hit me!
It's ok when all your spare cash goes to buying and maintaining tarantulas.
It's even ok when every available flat surface in your home is occupied with cages.
It doesn't mean you have an addiction. You can still call it enthusiasm or a passion for the hobby.

But when you start mainlining tarantulas, it might be time to admit you've got a problem. ;)

magicmed

Arachnobaron
It's ok when all your spare cash goes to buying and maintaining tarantulas.
It's even ok when every available flat surface in your home is occupied with cages.
It doesn't mean you have an addiction. You can still call it enthusiasm or a passion for the hobby.

But when you start mainlining tarantulas, it might be time to admit you've got a problem. ;)
OMG too funny

Seriously though stick to NW, that old world venom stings a bit