Quick swallowtail id please!

ZephAmp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I need to know if this is a black or spicebush swallowtail, and what gender. I'm going to try to induce laying if it's a black swallowtail female. Sorry for the bad pics. x_x

DemonAsh

Arachnosquire
See the double row of yellow on the edge of the inside of the wings = black swallowtail.. Someone else may know how to sex them.

ZephAmp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
See the double row of yellow on the edge of the inside of the wings = black swallowtail.. Someone else may know how to sex them.
Thanks for the ID! :)
I read that females have bluer marks on their wings, whereas males have blue-green marks. It looks pretty blue to me! :eek:

VinceG

Arachnobaron
Yes, this is a Black swallowtail, papilio polyxenes asterius. For the sex, I would say it's a female since the male have almost no blue mark on the bottom wings, and females have a lot of them.

ZephAmp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yes, this is a Black swallowtail, papilio polyxenes asterius. For the sex, I would say it's a female since the male have almost no blue mark on the bottom wings, and females have a lot of them.
Excellent! :D

Now, this may be a bit too specific of a question, but does she look fertilized? I just put a sprig of parsley and some flowers from a butterfly bush in a modified vase in her container, and it would be great to see some eggs/pillars soon. :)

ZephAmp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
She was beating the crap out of her wings in the old container, so I moved her outside into a horizontally-oriented plastic-screened cage. I heard sunlight induces ovulation. Is this true? Will she "scent" to males like some moths do?

Fyreflye

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Do butterflies lay eggs, or directly give birth to tiny caterpillars? I'm curious.

*EDIT* lol, i think ZephAmp just answered that one for me.

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
ZephAmp, Nice female black swallowtail.

Fyreflye, Although I'm not aware of any Lepidopterans that are live-bearers, all North American sp lay eggs. In addition- interestingly, all US butterfly larvae are plant-eaters except one- The harvester. The carnivorous caterpillar feeds on wooly aphids. It's in our area but remains another "jinx" sp for me to locate. A friend has found and photo'd several adults over the past few years.

:)

Terry

ZephAmp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Here's a pic of the enclosure. At a friend's advice I have since added more parsley to encourage laying. :)