Quick question - Noise and T's

Tiffany1195

Arachnopeon
I have an nhandu chromatus and I keep her in my living room cuz I always wanna be able to see her.. But my question is... does my TV and my fish tank and everyone talking bother her? ..and I have a pretty good surround sound system and when I put music on I will move her cage to the dining room so the music isn't so loud for her....but is moving her cage back and forth stressing her out? I always try to be a steady as I can when moving her .. but long story short I guess now is does the sound in my living room and moving her back and forth stress her out? ...She is my first trantula and I love her lol I don't want to be the cause of her stress lol

chris0220

Arachnopeon
Tarantulas are very sensitive to vibrations so I can’t imagine surround sound being fun for her.

Tiffany1195

Arachnopeon
Tarantulas are very sensitive to vibrations so I can’t imagine surround sound being fun for her.
The surround sound is only hooked up to music..not the tv ...and I move her when I play music. ..is that still not OK?

chris0220

Arachnopeon
Is the moving around and all the noise stressing her out? Probably. Is it going to kill her? Probably not but who knows, stress plays a factor in a lot of issues that tarantulas have.

if she needs to stay in the living room, I’d give her a ton of sub so she can make a nice deep burrow where she can relax.

Feral

Arachnobaron
I think that species is usually fairly confident and bold, but let her behavior inform you. A lack of reaction doesn't necessarily equate to a positive response, but behaviors like increased hiding, startling more easily, increased defensiveness, decreased appetite or trouble finding prey, etc. could indicate a definite negative reaction to the noise/vibration and, I would say, need to remedied immediately.

If she has to stay there, I think it's definitely worth considering shock-absorbing material where the enclosure touches other surfaces, like silicone "feet" pads or a rubberized mat (good way to recycle an unwanted yoga mat?), at the very least. Couldn't hurt!

Also, I don't know if covering her enclosure when it's especially loud would help...

On the flip side, just about every animal, definitely including arachnids, can become habituated to certain things over time. It's just a matter of how much stress is caused in the meantime. Arachnids, being stoic to a fault, are difficult to impossible to read and tell how much stress we're causing, often until it's too late.

So I tend to err on the side of caution and prevention, in general. So I would move her, if it were me, no matter how she's acting. [Edit- Meaning, I would move her permanently to a quieter spot and keep her there, not that I would continue to shuttle her back and forth.] But that's also my opinion, I can't say what is the definite "right" answer. Admittedly, I have a noise-sensitivity issue, so I am definitely overly sympathetic to these little critters that are essentially one big ear!

Last edited:

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
I have an nhandu chromatus and I keep her in my living room cuz I always wanna be able to see her.. But my question is... does my TV and my fish tank and everyone talking bother her? ..and I have a pretty good surround sound system and when I put music on I will move her cage to the dining room so the music isn't so loud for her....but is moving her cage back and forth stressing her out? I always try to be a steady as I can when moving her .. but long story short I guess now is does the sound in my living room and moving her back and forth stress her out? ...She is my first trantula and I love her lol I don't want to be the cause of her stress lol
Spiders cannot hear as we understand it to be. The setae or hairs on their body seems to be a very advanced neuro-net, that allows them to "Feel" sound vibrations and detect scents and smells. They seem to have an amazing awareness of their surroundings, beyond what we are able to perceive. Their response to blowing on them reminds me of the response of a person sitting with headphones, listening to music and someone abruptly "Cranks" up the volume....to me, it's the same reaction. So don't blow on your spider.

Spiders don't seem to like change at all, they actively resist change if they can. Re-housings can get to very exciting because of this behavior.

I would say that as long as the music is not excessively loud, the tarantula should be fine. Constantly moving the location of the tank to listen to music...might be more stressful that the music...How does the spider respond when the music is on? If there is no reaction, then I'd say...no problem.

I have a little Aphonopelma hentzi female that has buried herself for the winter. I've been re-arranging my classroom and I've moved her little enclosure about 3 or 4 times. Peering through the sides of the enclosure, I can see that she reacts physically every time that she gets moved; she obviously hates it.

Tiffany1195

Arachnopeon
Spiders cannot hear as we understand it to be. The setae or hairs on their body seems to be a very advanced neuro-net, that allows them to "Feel" sound vibrations and detect scents and smells. They seem to have an amazing awareness of their surroundings, beyond what we are able to perceive. Their response to blowing on them reminds me of the response of a person sitting with headphones, listening to music and someone abruptly "Cranks" up the volume....to me, it's the same reaction. So don't blow on your spider.

Spiders don't seem to like change at all, they actively resist change if they can. Re-housings can get to very exciting because of this behavior.

I would say that as long as the music is not excessively loud, the tarantula should be fine. Constantly moving the location of the tank to listen to music...might be more stressful that the music...How does the spider respond when the music is on? If there is no reaction, then I'd say...no problem

I have a little Aphonopelma hentzi female that has buried herself for the winter. I've been re-arranging my classroom and I've moved her little enclosure about 3 or 4 times. Peering through the sides of the enclosure, I can see that she reacts physically every time that she gets moved; she obviously hates it.
She is a pretty active little thing ..she has never been jumpy and never ran or anything when I move the tank or open the lid ..she has never dug a burrow she just chills out in the open all the time so from just looking at her she doesn't seem stressed out but I've never had a T befor so I wasn't sure on what the signs of stress were .. But I will definitely find somwhere else to put her just in case

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
As long as you aren't sitting enclosures on top of giant bass cannons or kick-effing them about the room then I seriously doubt they care one jot.

Some of them make their burrows next to busy-ish roads/etc. in the wild.

NukaMedia Exotics

#1 Tarantula Vendor in the USA! Ships Nationwide.
As long as you aren't sitting enclosures on top of giant bass cannons or kick-effing them about the room then I seriously doubt they care one jot.

Some of them make their burrows next to busy-ish roads/etc. in the wild.
Agreed. Sounds like you're fine to me.

Tiffany1195

Arachnopeon
Thank you all ..I did move her so she's in one of the spare rooms now ...but I miss looking at her haha but now she can enjoy her premolt alone lol