Quick question.. Just curious.

stevenSJE22

Arachnopeon
Alright y'all, I'm new the arachnoboards thing. I've bought two L.P. Spiderlings, approximately two weeks ago. Anyhow, I've noticed one of them is absolutely viscous. It eats anything and everything I thow in the critter keeper instantaneously. The other does not. It stays in its hide, and as soon as I drop a cricket in it will rush out like it's going to attack. Sometimes it even stalks the cricket and will kind of tap it, as if it's acting territorial. I'm not sure if this is a sign of molt nearing or if I need to switch up its diet? I mean, it looks healthy and acts as so too. Any info/opinions are greatly appreciated.

Belegnole

Tarantula Guy
Old Timer
Pictures of both would be appreciated as it can help us help you.

But two T's, even from the same sac may not act the same. This one sounds as it it may not be hungry. Or, it may be uncertain of the prey. To large or not the same as what it is used to can sometimes stop them from eating. Also I've had one T act in a similar manner when in premolt. It just played with it's food as if it was a cat. So, pictures may help diagnose this further.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Anyhow, I've noticed one of them is absolutely viscous. It eats anything and everything I thow in the critter keeper instantaneously. The other does not. It stays in its hide, and as soon as I drop a cricket in it will rush out like it's going to attack. Sometimes it even stalks the cricket and will kind of tap it, as if it's acting territorial.
Temperament can vary among individuals of even the same species. (I have two pulchras who are the same way: the bigger one seems to be fearless and immediately grabs anything you put in the cage; the other is timid and retreats into her hide if you even look at her.)

That being said, if your timid T is not feeding, it may be in premolt.

Paiige

Arachnobaron
I agree with the above posts - it may just be their "personalities." How big is the prey? Maybe try something a little smaller, or leave a chunk of cricket outside of its hide to see if it will scavenge. If it's hungry, it will eat :D

stevenSJE22

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the info y'all. I've gotta put my little one to bed real quick, then il post a couple pics for you guys

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
@stevenSJE22 You need more substrate in those enclosures. Also, they may be able to squeeze out of a Kritter Keeper at such a small size. Or at the very least get stuck half way through the lid gaps.

+1 to premolt on the one that is refusing food.

stevenSJE22

Arachnopeon
Man, il be honest. after taking a picture with my phone I can see the dark shining of the rear end. I've tried to leave it alone for the past few days so I guess I hadn't really looked hard enough. Cool deal. Once again, I appreciate it y'all.

stevenSJE22

Arachnopeon
@stevenSJE22 You need more substrate in those enclosures. Also, they may be able to squeeze out of a Kritter Keeper at such a small size. Or at the very least get stuck half way through the lid gaps.

+1 to premolt on the one that is refusing food.
As far as them getting out of their enclosure.. I highly doubt they would be able to slide out of the part where the opening lid is. I know they couldn't squeeze out of the vents. Not discrediting the comment by any means. But yea, should I really invest in a new enclosure or something? I've got as much experience with snakes as anybody but I know spiders are a whole different story.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Delicups can come in handy. To check if the sling can escape through the vents you need to compare the carapace to the width of the vents. If the carapace fits, the rest will come through as well.
Delicups are easy to find, you can
melt holes in the sides and the lid for ventilation by using a red hot needle. When they're bigger you can use the KK.
Awesome idea for the hides...my daughter has those blocks as well :D

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
Duct tape takes two minutes and fixes most lid issues. Even comes in a ton of colors, so it Will even look pretty cool when done. I use black gorilla tape on my screen lids, which are all black. You could cover the entire lid with a colored tape and poke ventilation holes. Completely effective and without a doubt the easiest fix.

Rob1985

This user has no status.
Just offer water and see if it molts in the next week or two. LP slings grow a pretty fast rate and in the meantime leave the LP that is refusing food alone for now.

Also consider rehousing to a deli cup.

stevenSJE22

Arachnopeon
Duct tape takes two minutes and fixes most lid issues. Even comes in a ton of colors, so it Will even look pretty cool when done. I use black gorilla tape on my screen lids, which are all black. You could cover the entire lid with a colored tape and poke ventilation holes. Completely effective and without a doubt the easiest fix.
I was actually considering that solution.. Only thing that concerns me about it is that I use a small infrared heat lamp to keep both enclosures around 78-82 degrees. I was worried the duct tape would throw off fumes when heated or drip nasty residue onto the substrate after I misted the enclosure?

stevenSJE22

Arachnopeon
Delicups can come in handy. To check if the sling can escape through the vents you need to compare the carapace to the width of the vents. If the carapace fits, the rest will come through as well.
Delicups are easy to find, you can
melt holes in the sides and the lid for ventilation by using a red hot needle. When they're bigger you can use the KK.
Awesome idea for the hides...my daughter has those blocks as well :D
So the same general rule you use with snakes.. If the head can slip through a open space, so can the body. My little boy came up with the Lego hide idea ha. He told me the other hide I made looked dumb -_- lol