Quick question about sperm webs

Jobe

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Just want to know how i would identify such a web.
In particular with H.Lividum, but if any general means of recognising one exists ill take it too :)

Thanx.

P/s: this forum has been great with the info so far. Thanks to all.

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
A spermweb is generally a tent like structure. The T will usually attach one end to the side of the enclosure and the other end to either the substrate or something in the enclosure. About the only true requirements for a spermweb is that the T can get under it to deposit it's sperm and get on top of it to load it's palps.

Scott

kosh

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i have never seen my adult male rose hair make a sperm web....but he had his ultimate moult back in june so i have to assume he has done it already....and probably more than once......the closest i have come is just the other morning....i went and looked in his tank and he was doing something in his artificial burrow....he hasnt been spending any time in there for the past few months so i was curious.....it looked like he had at least done a little bit of webbing overnight....and it looked like he was bulldozing some vermiculite around in there.....after he got out i looked in there and it looks like there are some vermiculite/web bundles....so i think i must have walked in on him destroying a sperm web...this is the only thing i can think of that fits the bill......so i am assuming that he is freshly charged up and ready to go.....now should i try to find him a mate or not??? hmmmm.....dont know what i would do with a bunch of spiderlings........

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
In the tarantula keepers guide on page 82, Schultz explains it in a section called Baiting the Tiger. Also has pictures of sperm webs.
Its good stuff. :D

Ern

Jobe

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Sorry MrT, went looking for the book, couldnt get it here.

Be ordering it soon tho :D

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
Originally posted by Jobe
Just want to know how i would identify such a web.
In particular with H.Lividum, but if any general means of recognising one exists ill take it too :)

Here's a photo of a C. cyaneopubescens upside down, in the act of depositing sperm on his sperm web . . .

Joy

Last edited:

Joy

Old Timer
Re: Re: Quick question about sperm webs

And here's the same spider filling his palps.

Joy

Last edited:

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Sweet pictures Joy,

Is that your T?:) ;)

Ernie

Jobe

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
And, to confirm, are the sperm thingys on the males pedipalps a brownish round thing?...not on my T, but saw a male in the shop earlier with little brown bulbs on each pedipalp...

: )

Thinking of getting it, but its quite small comparatively, and not sure if my female can mate yet....

Any info on this fellas..

P/s: thanks for the pics Joy, they helped a lot : )

Joy

Old Timer
Well, Ernie, that WAS my T, but my female ate him :(

Regarding the emboli (sperm dispensing structures on palps), they differ from species to species (T. blondi have really BIG ones) and look different also depending on whether the tarantula is just hanging around, is in the process of mating, or has just completed the act. the picture attached shows an extended male B. emilia embolus during mating.

Joy

Last edited: