Quick question about prey size

D Sherlod

Arachnoknight
Is this prey too big for this little sling? its an Nhandu chromatus.
or should I pre kill when they are this close? 2017-02-15 18.51.01.jpg

D Sherlod

Arachnoknight
That's what I thought. I did kill the cricket right after taking picture. It a hard to get crickets smaller then that.
Thanks for response

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
That's what I thought. I did kill the cricket right after taking picture. It a hard to get crickets smaller then that.
Thanks for response
No problem. I use calci worms for my slings to watch feeding response safely. They also cheaper and last longer than crickets. If you have a few slings it could maybe be a better option and you can watch them attack

D Sherlod

Arachnoknight
I don't know if they are available anywhere in my area. I will have to do some searching.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Ohh. They are called something else across the pond. I will try find out and let you know

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Thats the ones ! knew it was different just got a terrible memory aha

gypsy cola

Arachnoknight
All my T's gets large crickets. Slings will be get drumsticks or "smaller large crickets"/crippled.

Waxworms are a decent choice

Earth worms for larger spiders (These things STINK)

Roaches when available.

Timc

Arachnosquire
I also have trouble finding small crickets for my slings (well not any more since they're all growing up and I'm not allowed to get any more [girlfriends huh?]) but I've always just taken the legs off larger crickets and let the little guys scavenge. I don't get a fun feeding response to watch but the spiders don't seem to mind.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Yes, the UK are adamant that they are called Calci-worms because the UK is far superior to all nae-saying countries :cigar::cigar::cigar::p
Well, i must give the UK credit for one thing; getting the heck out of the EU! And free healthcare. And better organised education.
You get the point W.Wallace...
Sorry for derailing OP. ;)

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Well, i must give the UK credit for one thing; getting the heck out of the EU! And free healthcare. And better organised education.
You get the point W.Wallace...
Sorry for derailing OP. ;)
They wish ahah. All to be privatised. Thats why they wont let Scotland go. Hey, back to Málaga for me. Anyway, enough politics... it's Calciworm ;)

Paiige

Arachnobaron
I have fed a cricket that size to a sling when I was out of smaller ones...to be safe I ripped off its mouth parts and back legs so my little babe didn't get hurt.

Last edited:

Jeff23

Arachnolord
Is this prey too big for this little sling? its an Nhandu chromatus.
or should I pre kill when they are this close? View attachment 231643
What size is that sling?

I usually at a minimum chop the head off of the cricket and the legs still continue to move. This makes it slightly smaller. If you order online you can get some really small crickets, but then you must get a bunch of them. Small size at Petco and Petsmart are not that small.

Paiige

Arachnobaron
We are a gruesome bunch LOL
Agreed...I'm a big fan of feeding "cricket drumsticks" too. My hubby isn't the biggest fan of Ts so he laughs at me/cringes when he walks in during feeding time and I have varying degrees of mutilated crickets and limbs laying around everywhere and I'm intently ripping off legs with tweezers :D:nurse::mask:

Jeff23

Arachnolord
Agreed...I'm a big fan of feeding "cricket drumsticks" too. My hubby isn't the biggest fan of Ts so he laughs at me/cringes when he walks in during feeding time and I have varying degrees of mutilated crickets and limbs laying around everywhere and I'm intently ripping off legs with tweezers :D:nurse::mask:
:D That sounds like me and my 1/4" slings. It is simply a miniature kitchen and you are preparing the equivalent of chicken.