Quick observation and question

Selenops

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Quick post before dashing off to work, the set-up I have for my Haplopelma species is a ten gallon, 6" of substrate, Zoo-med repti-therm heat pad on the back, a hidaway log, and amphibian food/water dish serving a water dish.

The hideaway log is a simple double open-ended affair and I have it pinned against the glass beside the heat pad (the closed length side of course). So far, the T has displayed no predilation for burrowing. Actually it's content to use the hidaway log and seals the only accessible end with a fine curtain of silk. And in the evening it actively prowls the whole terrarium (every evening) than by morning reconstructs the silk screen and seals itself back in again. Has anyone else attempted to use hideaway in the coziest corner of the habitat?

(Instead of stimulating burrow building.)

And one more question, should I keep the heat pad or should I convert to a clip-on lamp?

We are getting some really low temps here in Riverside but my Haplopelma seems extremely happy and I even stopped the majority of the frigid air into the terrarium with a zip-it sweater over the 95% of the screen top. And I have a fabulous A/C unit.

Regards,
Dave

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Keep the heat pad. The lamp would be a little too much. If your Hap is useing the hide, I'lm sure there aren't any problems but all Haps will be much happier deep in a burrow. I'll bet if you start a burrow for her, in no time, she'll finish it and be nice and cozy down the burrow. This is what they prefer.

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
The problem with lamps, even the lightless ceramic bulb kind, is that they drop your humidity to nothing in a matter of hours. Those are best saved for desert critters, although I do have one to use on my ball python in emergencies and while he's in his feeding tank.

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
T's don't like light so a lamp is not a good idea. If your T is in a cold enough area to need extra heat use a heat pad on one side of the tank, then if the T gets to warm it can move to the other side to cool off.

Johnny_27

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
give it time, it'll burrow. Every hap i have has used a log the first couple weeks before digging a burrow.

Selenops

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Thanks from one tremendous grateful tarantula keeper.

Mucho gracias!

Straight forward and simple is the best.

I started getting paranoid about intruding outside chills and cold drafts. This morning, my living room was at lower 50F and quite nippy in the hall. The spider is in my room where it is much toastier but can get abit chilly early morning when the A/C is not running.

I probably should start a burrow for her but she is extremely active in the evening and is using the hideaway log throughout the day. When she retires from her evening prowls, she constructs a silk net over the entrance of her lair. The other open end of the log is against the glass panel *perpendicular* to the backside panel that has the heat pad attached to it.

(I placed a stack of doorstopper books on that side of the terrarium to blot out any light.)