Quick molt/feeding question

murfy

Arachnopeon
Gave a quick search to see if this had been answered before, but this situation seems a little bit specific and minor, haha. I have a 3/4 pulchra sling that I'm pretty sure is just starting to molt. Hasn't eaten the past couple weeks, abdomen slightly darker/shinier(?), and between this morning when I checked on it and now, has assumed the flopped over position.

I stopped giving it prey after the first few tries figuring this was the case. But earlier today, for whatever reason, I dropped in a cut-up mealworm just in case I was wrong. (Can you tell this is my first spider?)

So there's no risk of the sling getting bitten or anything, but now that I know for sure it's a molt, should I just leave it in there? Sling decided to sidle right up next to it before laying over, so I don't wanna risk bumping it mid- or post-molt. Thanks in advance!

sasha99

Arachnopeon
Yes, just leave it there, you don't want to disturb a molting t. Wait a couple days after it's molted and then you can take it ou, and then try to feed it after a week post molt or even 10 days to be sure.

murfy

Arachnopeon
Yes, just leave it there, you don't want to disturb a molting t. Wait a couple days after it's molted and then you can take it ou, and then try to feed it after a week post molt or even 10 days to be sure.
Thanks! Good info.

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
Slings are usually ready to eat 2 or 3 days after molting. It's still good practice to wait a week, but just don't freak out if you see it eating the worm in the next couple days - it'll be fine if it does.

AlbaArachnids92

Arachnoknight
It's dead, worst case scenario it might start going 'bad' but can be happily left until you can retrieve it safely.

coolnweird

Arachnobaron
I had a similar situation when I was new to the hobby, and my freshly molted sling decided to eat the worm segment. I was horrified, but it seemed to have no ill ffect on the T! So as NMTs said, don't panic if the spider eats it before you can safely remove. 99% of the time, spider knows best!

Last edited:

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
There’s no harm in removing the prey if it doesn’t disturb the molting tarantula as well

murfy

Arachnopeon
Thanks to everyone who replied, It did end up eating yesterday. Just finished a little cleanup, have some pics!

(the molt was kind of comedically stuffed up under the bark. I guess it was in the way.) PXL_20220924_205621980~2.jpg PXL_20220924_210401639~2.jpg