Quick Help Scolopendra Subs. !

Webslinger

Arachnopeon
Hello all,
I'm new to posting on these boards but i've been a reader for some time. I have a few questions if anyone could answer them

1.Judging from the description of this centipede can anyone tell me if it sounds to be a "Mau Chai" or just another large vietnamese Centipede?

"Red head, green body and white legs. Very aggessive. Its size it what matters. If you are looking for a large one this is it. They are about 10 inches right now."

This is a quote from kenthebugguy.com who has 2 for sale currently.

2. Below is a photo i recieved of a centipede he says "looks almost identical, except mine has a bit more red on the front and back legs"

http://static.flickr.com/45/153559371_3d98be1421.jpg

Thanks in advance for your help,
Devin

P.S. If anyone knows a reputable breeder or importer that currently has a Mau Chai Scolopendra Subs. or a Scolopendra Gigantea for sale I'd love to hear about it. :D

crow1211

Arachnopeon
Scolopendra subspinipes mutilans?

I don't really know, but my guess would be S. subspinipes multilans, but I don't know if they grow to be 10''. It looks some what like S. heros castaneiceps. I'm not really an expert on this. I just got into the hobby.

Webslinger

Arachnopeon
Thanks, I thought it looked like a heros as well. I am really trying to find a Mau Chai vietnamese giant but they have been very difficult to find. I think I will pass on this as it also looks like a malaysian subspines and it's not exactly what i'm looking for.

Pulk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i would guess he's measuring the full length, not the body length

hazardy

Arachnopeon
WEBSLINGER , I got my Vietnamese Giant from. francisco Torress, I believe he got some for sale. Send him a message. Btw you in California?

|ater

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I think that is a pic of Scolopendra subspinipes mutilans also. I've never owned one. But I have a nutty amount of S. heros pedes right now. Red terminals on an S. heros, so far, I believe is unheard of. Two completely diff pedes even though they look alike at first glance. Really pretty amazing to me that the colors sync up so well. S. heros can get much larger. The downside for S. h. castaneiceps is that, it looks so much like S. s. mutilans and mutilans seems to have a "boring" reputation for some reason. I think that's because they are so common to their native country and used for fish bait there.

Androctonus_bic

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I think that is a pic of Scolopendra subspinipes mutilans also. I've never owned one. But I have a nutty amount of S. heros pedes right now. Red terminals on an S. heros, so far, I believe is unheard of. Two completely diff pedes even though they look alike at first glance. Really pretty amazing to me that the colors sync up so well. S. heros can get much larger. The downside for S. h. castaneiceps is that, it looks so much like S. s. mutilans and mutilans seems to have a "boring" reputation for some reason. I think that's because they are so common to their native country and used for fish bait there.
I think it also. Remember that the S. heros have a ring forrow that the pede in the picture hasn't.

Cheer
Carles

Webslinger

Arachnopeon
Wow, Thanks for all the help here guys I appreciate it immensely. I am in seattle btw, not cali :D

I found a mau chai that is due to get here on tuesday from LV Exotics - said to be about 8-9 inches atm and was described over the phone as " red antennae/front end and the back pair of legs are and orange-red while the rest of the legs are yellow." He didn't say if it was dehanni for sure as he just got them in from a breeder. It sounds exactly as a mau chai should be described and I will definately post some pictures on here when she comes in.

abott

Arachnopeon
i just got two of them from naturecoastexotics.com there both 8 inches. the first night i had them it was really hard to fall asleep with them scurrying all around there tanks trying to escape, i really didnt believe people when they told me how fast and vicious they were. now i do :eek:

Sasori

Arachnopeon
Just join the forum today. Yes, that's a Mutilans for sure and it is really cheap around this area. Cost me approximately US$1 per piece. These are use as food like crickets, mealworms etc to feed arowanas.