questions questions...

Nature81

Arachnopeon
Hey all,

I have a couple of questions for you.

1. I have just read "The tarantula keepers guide" and they say to keep the substrate for all tarantulas dry (apart from "swamp dwellers" and even then not too wet). I'm a little confused. I know some species require dry sub. But I thought many required humid conditions. Such as misting weekly and damping part of the enclosure. I have a Brazilian Black spiderling who I'm keeping fairly humid and who has locked himself away in his burrow (presumably to moult?) and he/she seems to be doing well. However I am also getting a GBB and a Chaco golden knee (both spiderlings). I know spiderlings require more humid conditions but what about when they age? The book has confused me as everything else I read says 70-80% humid etc.

2. I have read many good things about isopods. How big should the T's be for me to begin using them and will the T's not eat them? I keep reading conflicting things.

Hope you guys can help, you all seem very knowledgeable :)

xx

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
1. I can tell you that when the G. pulchripes gets bigger, all you need is dry sub with a water dish. The other two, I have no experience. As slings you are supposed to mist a side of the substrate so it can drink.

2. I have yet to try Isopods, but you can't just pick them up from outside because they could be contaminated with pesticides, chemicals, and such. You would need to breed them and then use the third or fourth generation (I'm pretty sure that's what I read).

Nature81

Arachnopeon
Thanks Chris.

1. I wasn't just asking for mine really but for all t's lol. I'm just confused to what is right as I used to have t's a few years back and always kept humid etc so this book info was a surprise to me.

2. I have found a place to buy them :D

flamesbane

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks Chris.

1. I wasn't just asking for mine really but for all t's lol. I'm just confused to what is right as I used to have t's a few years back and always kept humid etc so this book info was a surprise to me.

2. I have found a place to buy them :D
On number 1 you will find a lot of different opinions. Most adult tarantulas can stand dry conditions as long as they have access to a water dish even if they are from more humid places. Slings on the other hand do need more humid conditions, but there are a lot of ways of going about that...again opinions vary. How big are your tarantulas?

malevolentrobot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i know this says B. smithi, but care requirements for smithi are fairly similar to your pulchripes and pulchra. here's the post from Schultz himself. in fact, reading that whole thread might be a good idea (i think he has more than one post in it).

i am raising all three and what chris has described is what i've been doing as well.

Nature81

Arachnopeon
Thats great guys thank you :) I guess its dry all the way then! It's amazing how all the care sheets you read say to keep humid isn't it? It's no wonder people get it "wrong".

Any answers for the isopod question?

Zoe x

KnightinGale

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Isopods don't do well in a dry environment. They won't last long. But if you are keeping your sub dry and are sure to spot-clean regularly, then they won't be of any help anyway. Some tarantulas eat them and some don't. Everybody's individual experience seems to be a little different there.
They are neat little critters though and I keep some in my emp enclosure which I don't keep as dry as well as having a colony in with my feeders.
If you don't want to catch them from outside and have to worry about pesticides, there are some people online who sell a variety of species.
Good luck!

jebbewocky

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Thats great guys thank you :) I guess its dry all the way then! It's amazing how all the care sheets you read say to keep humid isn't it? It's no wonder people get it "wrong".

Any answers for the isopod question?

Zoe x
I wouldn't say they got it "wrong," really, just that they are being overly finicky.

And yeah, if you keep T's dry--no need for isopods.
I mean, I'm breeding some anyway, for my scorpion, and, well, because they're neat little things.

Arakatac

Arachnopeon
Hey all,

I have a couple of questions for you.

1. I have just read "The tarantula keepers guide" and they say to keep the substrate for all tarantulas dry (apart from "swamp dwellers" and even then not too wet). I'm a little confused. I know some species require dry sub. But I thought many required humid conditions. Such as misting weekly and damping part of the enclosure. I have a Brazilian Black spiderling who I'm keeping fairly humid and who has locked himself away in his burrow (presumably to moult?) and he/she seems to be doing well. However I am also getting a GBB and a Chaco golden knee (both spiderlings). I know spiderlings require more humid conditions but what about when they age? The book has confused me as everything else I read says 70-80% humid etc.

2. I have read many good things about isopods. How big should the T's be for me to begin using them and will the T's not eat them? I keep reading conflicting things.

Hope you guys can help, you all seem very knowledgeable :)

xx
I have all 3 species you mentioned and here is what I've observed (and by the way, I, too, consult the TKG) - I've raised all of them from slings and started them out in damp substrate to prevent dehydration (it's an everpresent danger with slings apparently, especially Avicularias) -

They are all beyond the sling stage now - I have the Chaco and the GBB in desert-dry conditions with water dishes - and my GBB seems to have such an utter disdain for humidity he consistently webs over his water dish ... the Brazilian Black I had on damp substrate (I figured Brazil = tropical = damp) and he absolutely HATED it (as evidenced by his propensity to climb the walls) - so I switched him from damp to dry ...

Schultz issued a sidebar remark in the TKG that made an impression on me - you probably saw it - something to the effect that a tarantula on damp substrate is like you or me on damp bedsheets. Not particularly comfortable!

Spidergirl67

Arachnopeon
I agree, Nature-it is all very confusing. I had always read to keep the substrate moist and the tank very humid, yet almost everyone on here says to keep them dry (?), esp. for B. Smithi's, which I have. I also tend to lean on the humid side because one of my G. Rosea's died struggling to get out of a molt because her cage was (I was told) too dry. Can anyone comment as to whether the humidity varies by species, age, or is what he have read just very wrong??

Kirk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I agree, Nature-it is all very confusing. I had always read to keep the substrate moist and the tank very humid, yet almost everyone on here says to keep them dry (?), esp. for B. Smithi's, which I have. I also tend to lean on the humid side because one of my G. Rosea's died struggling to get out of a molt because her cage was (I was told) too dry. Can anyone comment as to whether the humidity varies by species, age, or is what he have read just very wrong??
The issue isn't humidity, but rather water availability. Members of Grammostola rosea live in one of the driest habitats on this planet. Read post #29 in this thread for the best overview regarding the issue.

Nature81

Arachnopeon
This has been a lot of help thank you. I think also by what I've read that it also very much depends on the individual tarantula? :) I can't wait to see what my GP looks like after its moult :D

x