Questions on price

boalgf

Arachnopeon
Hey everyone. I've been spending some time searching the boards, reading up on T's, and deciding what I want. Thanks to all the info available on this site, I've been able to narrow down my choices. I was hoping some of you could let me know if these prices are fair/good. It's hard to find the going rate for adults.

1st: I found an Avicularia versicolor, full grown female with very beautiful colors for $150. She's active, but not overly jumpy, and seems to be very docile. (Crappy phone pics attached)

2nd: A Grammostola pulchripes, 5"-6" female also very nice looking/docile for $70.

3rd: Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens 4" (will know it's sex tomorrow) for $90. Is it worth $90 if it end up being male?

I like something docile, for the times I have/want to take it out. They all seemed to fit the bill. Other than that it's a trade off between size and beauty. I think the GBB/Antilles are pretty tied on that, but the Golden Knee gets so much bigger. Decisions, decisions. Anyway, are any of these a killer deal or a horrible deal or somewhere in between? That would definitely help me in choosing.

I know the Chaco is probably the easiest to keep (right?). My wife is begging for the Antilles, she loves her some pink. I've read up on it's need for humidity/ventilation and don't see that as much of a problem. If anyone can fill me in on something I've overlooked to help sway me I'd be very appreciative.

Thanks all!

P.S. Also found a 7" Theraphosa blondi for $100 and have to admit it's tempting. Not what I had originally wanted but after seeing it...! Do these get significantly bigger than the Chaco in captivity?

Attachments

Thegloryfades

Arachnosquire
T. Blondi is a horrible choice as most are very aggressive. For something you could hold even though it's generally not a recommended activitity I would chose the chaco. Terrestrials seem to be less flighty from my experiences.
Edit: Haven't really priced adults as I prefer raising from slings but the prices all seem fair to me

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
$150 is steep for the versi,IMHO.I think you can find a much better deal.. I have seen them go for $75-$100 as of late in the classifieds.Then figure in shipping costs....The pulchripes,on the other hand,is a good deal.

razor244

Arachnopeon
if the GBB is a female id say its a good deal. if not id pick up the pulchripes.

boalgf

Arachnopeon
Looks like the pulchripes is the clear cut better deal. I've read so many good things about them and love the look.

Looking over the boards it looks like I can find a female, adult versicolor for about $100 shipped. I'm worried about temperament though, the one I saw in the store was so docile. It is, of course, the only one I've seen. Are they all that way?

I know the blondi is very aggressive. That was my evil, not like the other ones option. Just thought I'd keep it in mind, since it looked so wicked.

Would still appreciate more feedback as I mill over my decision, you're all so helpful. Thanks!

KnightinGale

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I think you can't go wrong with the pulchripes, especially as you have gotten to meet it and see something of its temperment. A great combination of size, beauty and docility. T. blondis are definitely awesome, but you have time. Apart from their personality, they need more in the way of care requirements than many other species and are best after you've had some experience.
You are right too, every tarantula you see will have its own distinct personality. Each species certainly has its tendencies, but there are always exceptions. Also individuals can occasionally act in ways that they don't normally, for reasons that are inexplicable to their keepers. They may not, but it is always best to be prepared.