questions on Phidippus audax

Matt K

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Mine are free roaming in my bug room and seem to live a year or so- not two- and then dissapear. Right now I have small ones roaming everywhere (this years batch) and maybe 2 or 3 adults...

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
???

How do u tell they're the same ones if they're 1 yr and free-roaming? Sorry, I just ask because I can barely tell mine apart unless ones more gravid. hehe!

onex1864

Arachnopeon
i found one on my kitchen sink.I put it in a jar poked lots of holes in the lid. on one of the other treads about Phidippus audax i heard that the jar it easier to clean if u hang it up side down so that all you have to do is wash the lid so i did that in hung the jar from my bed and i put sticks, rock and leaves in the jar, for him to climb on becuz he was just sitting on the lid of the jar i made sure not to block off any of the hole and for water i put some around the lid tonight i going to grab some bugs flying around my pouch light and grab some fly from my window seal. is there any other food i could give him and am i doing any thing wrong :D

onex1864

Arachnopeon
mine has a heart on the back and the other one i had over the years have have thing i about them that diffent from the rest

TheTyro

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You can probably remove the rock. Just in case the jar falls, the rock won't rattle around and squish the spider. Audax rarely crawl over the ground, they prefer vertical walls by far.

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You can probably remove the rock. Just in case the jar falls, the rock won't rattle around and squish the spider. Audax rarely crawl over the ground, they prefer vertical walls by far.
They love to climb and unlike lots of spiders they are diurnal. Not only do they hunt in daylight but they actually seem to love sunlight. Mine sometimes bask on a leaf.

I once had placed a glass vial off-balance. The spider was out and the vial fell and rolled over the baby jumper. Bugger didn't stand a chance...

TheTyro

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
They love to climb and unlike lots of spiders they are diurnal. Not only do they hunt in daylight but they actually seem to love sunlight. Mine sometimes bask on a leaf.

I once had placed a glass vial off-balance. The spider was out and the vial fell and rolled over the baby jumper. Bugger didn't stand a chance...
I think ultraviolet light plays a critical role in their lives, especially with such metallic chelicerae. Whenever I paired my Phids for mating I made sure they had good lighting. Make the man spider more attractive. :D

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Sunshine+house flies=jumping spider in heaven.

I actualy wonder what they gain from basking in the sun, whenever I hunt these guys you find them alot more in the sun rather then in the shade- infact probably a good 6:1 ratio

Balkastalkman

Arachnosquire
I found a female and her eggsack/ cocoon/ house and took it and put it in an extra large deli container (with the eggs attached to some cork bark. The female recognized it was her egg sack and webbed it up more). When will the eggsack hatch?... Does anyone know

What

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You will see the sac visibly get darker as the spiderlings mature inside... No real way to even guesstimate when it will hatch.

Motzo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I raised my oldest jumper from sling to adult, and she's nearing 2 years and becoming very docile.
She's given me somewhere around 6 eggsacs from a single mate, and she's beginning to lose her ability to climb walls. I put her in a different enclosure and she didn't even bother making a web pouch to hide in. She rarely eats.

I remember reading in a few places that they live up to 2 years in captivity, so I don't expect her to be around much longer.
But they still do live pretty long, and you can switch to the next generation fairly easy if you know how to raise a sling.

And Jynx-- how did you get yours to live so long? That's a pretty darn old audax :p