Questions about scorplings

pizda

Arachnopeon
Hi. I need urgent help with my scorps.

My friend and I bought about 4 swammmerdamis around August last year. They were about 3 cm long from mouth to tail and appeared healthy when we bought them. We have given them small pre-killed lats which they ate. However, starting around 1st week of December last year, they have been refusing food. They haven't eaten anything since then. Last night I found one of them wiggling its tail from side to side. I thought it was a sign of an upcoming molt so I didn't do anything. This morning I saw that its tail is now completely on the ground and is not responding to any stimuli. The other 3 are still very active. Here are some other details:

- they are kept on transparent plastic containers
- substrate is always kept damp
- they are offered pre-killed lats twice every week
- they are provided with a simple hide made of plastic
- they are kept in a room which almost always at room tempt (21-25C)

Any idea on whats going with these scorps? More specifically why they are not molting? Am i doing something wrong? Any suggestion or comment will be very helpful. Thank you.

callum b

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi pizda,

from the information that you have given I would say that temperature, and it being too low, is the cause of your scorpions not moulting.

I would recommend increasing the temperature to around 28c - 30c. Scorpions that are kept at temperatures lower than they would experience in their native range take far longer to progress through each instar or in some cases never end up moulting at all and die at a juvenile stage. I think with a bit more heat you will find that your 3 Heterometrus swammerdami will begin to fatten up and moult fairly soon.

Good luck :)

pizda

Arachnopeon
Thanks. Can I just ask about their eating habits? Like how much do they usually eat? I'm a bit used to keeping tarantulas and I thought they have the same eating habits.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Thanks. Can I just ask about their eating habits? Like how much do they usually eat? I'm a bit used to keeping tarantulas and I thought they have the same eating habits.
I feed mine when I feed my Tarantulas and usually the same amount. The only exceptions are certain Tarantula species (like G. porteri) that have incredibly low food requirements.

Once a week or every other week I offer food. Usually food is taken but if anyone refuses I remove the prey item.

Also, bump the temperature a few degrees higher.

pizda

Arachnopeon
I feed mine when I feed my Tarantulas and usually the same amount. The only exceptions are certain Tarantula species (like G. porteri) that have incredibly low food requirements.

Once a week or every other week I offer food. Usually food is taken but if anyone refuses I remove the prey item.

Also, bump the temperature a few degrees higher.
Thanks. Any suggestions as to the substrate? I keep their substrate a little more damp compared to those of tarantulas.

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
Anything that is good for the adults will ne good for the slings. Just make sure the enclosures don't dry out. Unlike the adults, they really need the constant moisture for molting. As long as they are kept moist like the adults mostly 24-7, they should be good to go and molt right :D

pizda

Arachnopeon
URGENT HELP NEEDED. None of them has eaten anything since my last reply. ANOTHER SWAMM IS DYING. This is so frustrating because I dont know what the hell is causing these deaths. I followed every suggestion given. PLEASE. IF ANY OF YOU HAVE EXPERIENCED THIS BEFORE I NEED YOUR WISDOM!

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I’ve had a couple of generations and they seem to do fine kept as Pandinus imperator. 75 to low 80s but you don’t have to heat the whole container, just a corner or side is OK to heat up, I use a heat mat, they will go there when they want to get warmer. I would also have 2 or 3 inches of substrate for babies, let them dig under to molt if they want and let them eat as much at they can.

pizda

Arachnopeon
I’ve had a couple of generations and they seem to do fine kept as Pandinus imperator. 75 to low 80s but you don’t have to heat the whole container, just a corner or side is OK to heat up, I use a heat mat, they will go there when they want to get warmer. I would also have 2 or 3 inches of substrate for babies, let them dig under to molt if they want and let them eat as much at they can.
Any ideas on why my scorps acted the way they did? This is really frustrating for me. I feel so helpless seeing them die and I have no idea how to help them.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Where did you get them from?
And what did you bump the temperature to?
What is the humidity?
What have you tried for feeders?
Can you post pictures of the Scorpions and the set up in which they reside(d)?

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Like d975 said, pics are best along with other info but with pics something might be picked up on easier.