Questions about Roaches

AlbatrossWarrior

Arachnosquire
(Didn't know whether to place this in tarantula chat or here :rofl: )
So I have been wanting to change to roaches for awhile now. When I got my tarantula I had some pinhead Blatta lateralis ordered as well and I loved those little guys. Then I got both lateralis and dubia nymphs when I got my next few T's, but didn't have proper containers for them so they just stayed in kritter keepers for awhile. Because they were in small cages I suppose I didn't like taking care of them properly and switched to crickets and supers. Now a year and a half later I really think roaches will be better for me, since my mom hates driving to Petsmart every two weeks to buy crickets, and the superworms always end up eating each other after a few months :mad:
I will have 18 carnivorous inverts by next week, and I've heard that it's better to only breed roaches if you have over 50 tarantulas, so I don't know if it's a good idea or not. :/ Although I also have a VERY insect hungry crested gecko, and although he really only eats his powdered food, I could give him a few roaches (Lateralis only, probably) every few weeks.
I also can't decide if I should get lateralis or dubia, I personally prefer lateralis because I've never had a T refuse them, the dumb dubia just sit still and then burrow when the T turns its back (I even have a picture on my phone of my B. albopilosum and a dubia roach just chilling together side by side, lol) And I don't think I've ever had a lateralis escape before, but I've read a few things about them being able to sort of climb sterilite tubs and escape, so for that I would lean towards dubia.
I also don't know about the heat pad under the tub thing, what are some good heat pads to buy that won't melt plastic? I plan on keeping them in the basement since my room is already filled with animals, and maybe keeping a small container of them in my room for easy feeding.

Marijan2

Arachnobaron
Between lats and dubias i would suggest lats primarily, i use dubias only for bigger T's since they are much bigger than lats. Both species can be successfully kept at 70-95F, the higher the temperature, faster they reproduce and grow, obviously. I do not know exact prices for roaches in america, but good start would be considered 300 mixed, that would form nice colony and sustain itself just after few monthsof keeping. Neither dubias nor lats can infest your house if they escape, so no worries about that(i myself had thousands of escaped roaches during years). With lats be careful not to keep bin too dry, or ooths won't hatch, or you can separate them in their separate enclosures with higher humidity to have them sorted by size. Other great thing about breeding them is that you can always find buyers when you have excess of them and get some extra bucks for more inverts! If you have any other question freely ask, i can't remember what more could i tell you about their keeping.

Marijan2

Arachnobaron
Ah, forgot about heat pads. When i lived in colder place without central heating, i formed box with styrofoam insulation for them to keep them warm, i even have a pic of it:

And you are right, never put heat pad directly under them, instead tape it to the side and make sure roach box is 10" or more away from it. If you have extra thermostat you can set it to control but it's not really needed, they can live in vast range of temps like i wrote above

AlbatrossWarrior

Arachnosquire
Between lats and dubias i would suggest lats primarily, i use dubias only for bigger T's since they are much bigger than lats. Both species can be successfully kept at 70-95F, the higher the temperature, faster they reproduce and grow, obviously. I do not know exact prices for roaches in america, but good start would be considered 300 mixed, that would form nice colony and sustain itself just after few monthsof keeping. Neither dubias nor lats can infest your house if they escape, so no worries about that(i myself had thousands of escaped roaches during years). With lats be careful not to keep bin too dry, or ooths won't hatch, or you can separate them in their separate enclosures with higher humidity to have them sorted by size. Other great thing about breeding them is that you can always find buyers when you have excess of them and get some extra bucks for more inverts! If you have any other question freely ask, i can't remember what more could i tell you about their keeping.
Thanks! That's super helpful and a relief about escapees :embarrassed: Last year my few females layed ooths and I kept them very warm but didn't know they needed humidity so they never hatched. I think I will go for lats then! I also wonder if my pet stores would buy them from me, they've never had roaches before, maybe if I offered a cheap price they would take some lol, although I doubt they take from strangers

Marijan2

Arachnobaron
Thanks! That's super helpful and a relief about escapees :embarrassed: Last year my few females layed ooths and I kept them very warm but didn't know they needed humidity so they never hatched. I think I will go for lats then! I also wonder if my pet stores would buy them from me, they've never had roaches before, maybe if I offered a cheap price they would take some lol, although I doubt they take from strangers
Well, i read countless stories about pet shops buying T sacs from owners, worth a try! I heard a lot of good things about BugsInCyberspace and RoachCrossing, those are great starter places to buy roaches from, but maybe check local craigslist first if someone sells them for cheaper

AlbatrossWarrior

Arachnosquire
Well, i read countless stories about pet shops buying T sacs from owners, worth a try! I heard a lot of good things about BugsInCyberspace and RoachCrossing, those are great starter places to buy roaches from, but maybe check local craigslist first if someone sells them for cheaper
BugsInCyberSpace is indeed great! Got my dune scorp, stripe-tailed scorp, and C. fimbriatus from them. They mostly sell pet roaches, and 25 lats costs $10.00, so I feel like there are definitely better options, lol, and I'll check out RoachCrossing and Craigslist, thanks :D

Marijan2

Arachnobaron
BugsInCyberSpace is indeed great! Got my dune scorp, stripe-tailed scorp, and C. fimbriatus from them. They mostly sell pet roaches, and 25 lats costs $10.00, so I feel like there are definitely better options, lol, and I'll check out RoachCrossing and Craigslist, thanks :D
yeah, RoachCrossing have much better offer, but the owner is currently busy moving so i don't know how long you'll have to wait to order them

AlbatrossWarrior

Arachnosquire
Aaand there are no roach sellers anywhere nearby according to craigslist. :drunk: Except for like two dubia breeders. I may just order from Jamie's Tarantulas, that's where I got my first roaches

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
So far, I have not had a single T refuse a B lat. My bearded dragon adores B lats. I breed B lats for 9 Ts, 1 dragon, and the personal enjoyment of having B lats.
It's not that much extra work to me, and I feel secure having a handy food source available without having to rely on purchasing feeders.

I got out of mealie breeding because of grain mites - I could never keep them ventilated enough -- even with no lid on their enclosure.
And crickets smell -- so I fed the last of them off and said good riddance.

I mostly just order waxies these days -- since breeding them is more trouble than I am willing to go to. Waxies are a treat here, for all my critters.

AlbatrossWarrior

Arachnosquire
I mostly just order waxies these days -- since breeding them is more trouble than I am willing to go to. Waxies are a treat here, for all my critters.
I've heard that reptiles in particular go crazy for waxies :rofl: I wish I had a fat tail gecko or beardie to enjoy feeding them to.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
I've heard that reptiles in particular go crazy for waxies :rofl: I wish I had a fat tail gecko or beardie to enjoy feeding them to.
Tsk -- now you know your next purchase! hehe
In the which came first the chicken or the egg dilemma.... I got my beardie BECAUSE I bred B lats and also I could never feed off 50 waxies to 9 Ts before the waxies died.
Simple economics. :) Go buy a lizard -- sheeesh! You need one! It'll save you money and reduce waste! ;):wideyed:

AlbatrossWarrior

Arachnosquire
Duuude, trust me, if I had more space, I'd be all about that lizard life (And snake life, I NEED a blood python). But I have no room for glass tanks and heating and lighting and all that jazz, so I invest in crested geckos instead, since they don't need any heat lamps or anything really, lol. Easiest lizard to care for ever. (And my female might be pregnant :astonished:) Unfortunately they aren't really good with eating insects as their main food source, although my male LOVES crickets literally to death, he used to get his teeth stuck on the repti carpet or would accidentally grab a piece of spaghnum or cocofiber and wouldn't let go until it was down his throat (Had to switch his substrate to paper towels :() So I compensated by changing his Pangea watermelon food to the insect flavored kind, lol

AlbatrossWarrior

Arachnosquire
I recently went looking for lats to replenish my feeder stock and had a difficult time finding anybody with them in stock at feeder prices versus "pet" prices.
I finally stumbled on a add form @MWAInverts who sells them via his Etsy store for good prices and $10.00 flat shipping. Pick one size or mixed with various quantities.
Good luck
https://www.etsy.com/listing/259068595/custom-order-of-s-lateralis
Oh, cool! I'll favorite him :) I need to start surfing Etsy more often

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Bearded dragons only need the 75% high protein diet until adulthood -- then we drop high protein back to 25% and make 'em eat their veggies. lol
But mine can still pack away her 25% with gusto. :)

AlbatrossWarrior

Arachnosquire
Bearded dragons only need the 75% high protein diet until adulthood -- then we drop high protein back to 25% and make 'em eat their veggies. lol
But mine can still pack away her 25% with gusto. :)
Yeah, and I'm more of a carnivore lover :p But baby beardies are soooo cute, I'd love one, especially the gorgeous orange morphs or how you call them

Marijan2

Arachnobaron
Good alternative to beardies are dwarf monitors, voracious little dragons that eat meat/insects only, i am lately looking to get 1 or 2 to trim my roach colonies down :p

AlbatrossWarrior

Arachnosquire
Good alternative to beardies are dwarf monitors, voracious little dragons that eat meat/insects only, i am lately looking to get 1 or 2 to trim my roach colonies down :p
I love monitors sooo much, I love the bigger ones though, lol, but I REALLY want a Tegu