Questions about pede and pod enclosures

flannel

Arachnopeon
Hey all! I have a few questions about isopods and millipedes:

1. What is the smallest size enclosure that can be safely used to start about 6 Cubaris? I often read “use a 6qt bin” but I want to start slowly and work my way up due to space limitations. However, I don’t want to make them miserable by starting too small. (I also want them more on display than a bin would allow.)

2. Same question but for bumblebee or ivory millipedes—what’s the smallest enclosure I can begin with and still provide a safe environment for them?

3. Are there any pods that can be housed with desert beetles?

4. Are there any other good beginner pedes besides bumblebees and ivories?

thanks so much for your time!

mickiem

Arachnoprince
For 6 Cubaris, I think a 6" enclosure would be adequate but you have to keep in mind how much harder it is to maintain proper humidity, etc. I think something like a plastic shoebox would be more appropriate. It's also hard to create any kind of humidity or temperature gradients. And what you can't expect to happen "automatically" in your enclosure, you have to manually create. I buy acrylic show boxes at Hobby Lobby and use a solder gun to create holes for ventilation. The acrylic is very transparent and you can maintain humidity pretty easily in them. Ivories, in my opinion is the easiest millipede to keep, The substrate should be at least 4" deep and you should have at least 4" headspace as well. 12" length should be a safe minimum for them I never mix species so I'll let someone who does answer that. Those are basic minimums but remember it's a lot more work to maintain small enclosures!