Questions about my first T.

craigswilkinson

Arachnopeon
hello,

I just got my first T last week. She's a Avic. avic. I wanted a T that was easily taken care of and this specie was recommended.

I have a couple of questions about her behavior and eating habits.

First, I had placed a couple of crickets in her habitat when I first received her, I was told she had not eaten for three days or so. I noticed the next morning that one of the crickets was nowhere to be found, so, I figured it must've escaped while I was spraying and filling the water dish, no biggie. I took the other cricket out of the cage because I was told that it might be too small. I purchased a few bigger crickets along with gut load and a separate container for them. I put two larger crickets in with her and now I can't find either of them. So, basically, my question is: Do Pink Toes digest the entire body, or just the juicy goodness of a cricket, as i was told they did? Or, are the crickets burrowing maybe in the bedding?

Secondly, she has been putting her feet in her mouth ( all 8, not at one time though, haha ) for the past 3 hours or so, I'm assuming this is just her way of grooming, similar to a cat. if not, what's the deal.

Thanks, I just hope I'm doing everything right and she is going to live happily, I think I'm going to be interested in this hobby and hope to hear from other T collectors.

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
If she hasn't eaten for three days...believe me, that's fine. You should only be feeding like once a week or so at most. If you overfeed, they grow faster, age faster, and die faster. Especially with a species that already doesn't live as long as the Gramms and Brachys, you'll notice the difference.

speedreader

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi. Welcome to T world!
Crickets don't burrow much. If they are alive you should be able to see them.
Some tarantulas leave no carcasses left - they either digest their prey completely or bury the poor fallen crickets. :rolleyes:
Yeah, "grooming" is normal.

craigswilkinson

Arachnopeon
thanks

thanks, I see then I must have a polite T...

the grooming actually amused me for a good 10-20 minutes.

so, are you saying maybe two crickets a week?

I think I can handle that.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Some tarantulas leave no carcasses left - they either digest their prey

Not true you just dont see the remains. They are sometimes small balls of leftovers yes but there there is something. And you will find those small balls later when you get harmless spot mold.

Avics are awesome, my slings will catch prey before it hits the ground when they are really hungry. One to two crickets a week is perfect. Welcome to the addiction!

speedreader

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well, I never found a single carcass in my seemani's tank in 5 years. No mold either.