questions about millis!

malevolentrobot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
okay, so i know the drill when it comes to Ts on the boards, but i'm dipping my toes in the water here and i really want to get a millipede. i'm wondering what you all have to throw in as input to my questions, since i'm having a little bit more trouble tracking down info right now:

1. i think i want Apeuthes sp, the thai rainbow millipede (i've heard these are easier to keep and live longer than the vietnamese rainbows, right?). i've done some research and read you can keep multiples, but is it okay to keep one alone? do they seem to do better and thrive more with company?

2. is bugsincyberspace.com the only place to buy these guys?

3. what should i generally expect from my millis and how will i know if something is wrong? i mean, Ts can be pretty noticable when something isn't right, what if there is something wrong with my millis?

4. where can i find some really good sources of information, preferrably online?

5. is handling these guys okay? i know some secrete caustic compounds, but i'm unsure past that and i want to know what your experiences with handling them have been like.

i hope you don't mind me asking these questions (even if they are kind of *derp**derp**derpy* to some of you), i tried to exhaust the search function, but i just didn't feel like i got enough info. and i really like to be prepared before i buy :D

Last edited:

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
1. Thai rainbows are very hardy.
VN rainbows aren't available any more because they die a lot. Long ago I had a big colony for years that got a few degrees too warm one time.

2. there are two or three other vendors with them now and then.

3. Unless they're molting they shouldn't act strange.

4. I think this book is great. I haven't seen any good web info yet.
I also carry the new German book but it's much more expensive, carries almost entirely species you can't get and most have never been bred in captivity and contains nonspecific husbandry info. I'd get both books if I were a serious millipede enthusiast.

5. If you're careful you'll never get the organic acids on you. It turns your skin brown for a few days but doesn't hurt unless you get it in a cut or your eyes.

malevolentrobot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
thank you for the info! i will have to pick up the book very soon, since i still have quite a bit to learn about millis.

also, i just got my two rainbows today and was so happy when i saw a freebie was in the cup along with them! they are absolutely adorable little buggy choo-choo trains and i am looking forward to watching them grow :)

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
This is the thread with a book review on the german book that he mentioned, there is an english and german language version, so make sure you get the right one. I love it, obviously from my review.

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=177775

I would really recommend getting a good book. Millies eat their substrate, and if it's not well made and nutritious, they will struggle long term.

Good luck, and have fun! :)