Questions about Madagascar hissing cockroaches

Wahoooooo

Arachnopeon
How do i know when a roach is about to molt?
Can i house them alone or will they get lonely?
Anything else that i would probably need to know

Myrmeleon

Arachnoknight
Have you tried looking at earlier threads and/or google? I would answer these, but I honestly have no idea.

Venomous Fang

Arachnoknight
I’m no expert but I’ll tell what I know and from what I’ve experienced so far and don’t take all of this as fact because idk if I could be wrong on some parts. Anyways you don’t need to do much for them they are really easy to care for and a great beginner pet very docile and not that fast be sure to have a secure lid they aren’t known to be escape artist but just take note to that what I use it Vaseline around the top sides of the lid, it won’t hurt them they’ll just slip off. And they won’t need a lot of room just some hidesout like cork wood or any type of wood will do they like hiding a lot and the darkness so you won’t see them as much or in the morning, they’re very active at night. And don’t worry they don’t get lonely you can have them together with another cockroach or even a millipede, they make great tankmates, I have a hissing cockroach and millipede together and they are like best buddies always sleeping together or eating together and just close it’s pretty cute. And as for molting idk how you can haven’t seen it yet but if you do find a molt just leave the roach alone for like a day or so they’ll be really sensitive when they finish and especially don’t interrupt them while they do it you can stress them out or harm them by accident. Mmmm well I tired to answer your questions as best I can hopefully that helps you. You shouldn’t have to worry so much with these guys like I said they’re pretty easy and a fun pet. Oh and for food really they can eat anything from dog food to fish or cat food fruits or vegetables to wood. Don’t give spoiled stuff or anything rotten they don’t seem to care for it from what I’ve read and from watching my roach they just don’t seem interested. They’re more cleaner than normal roaches. Hopefully this info helps you out. Good luck with your amazing pets.

isabel

Arachnopeon
Don’t think you can tell tbh

No, they won’t get lonely because, like crickets and millipedes, they can’t register emotion, only feel hunger, thirst e.c.t., only the very basics for an animal

Not really anything in particular, just watch out for those sharp little legs spiking you and don’t freak if one suddenly hisses and squirms.
Most proud don’t like them so be prepared for negative comments
Don’t feed spoiled food

Dragondrool

Arachnosquire
I've got a female hisser. Very easy to care for. She's in a cricket breeder box with about 1/3 of the bottom with coco fiber. I put in a bunch of toilet paper rolls for her to hide in and a stick because I've seen her climb it. I experimented with different decorations, fake plants and such. She really doesn't move much except when she gets out to drink water (I mist twice a day) or to eat food. They eat fruits and veggies, I enjoy cutting up apples and feeding my mealworms and roach. They really don't eat much, put in a slice or two every week and remove it if it gets bad to see when your eats and make a schedule based on that. You can handle them, mine was skittish as first and hissed a lot which startled me (guess it works on predators) because it was way louder than I expected. But they're harmless and can't bite you. There's spikes on their legs which kind of pokes you if you handle them but they can't do any damage. They won't get lonely, I wanted to get her a female friend but decided not to. They're easy going and chill :) fun fact they have mites on them that can't harm people or animals but live on the roach and each dead particles or bits of food they don't get to :) And mine has never shed so unless you get yours young it most likely won't shed. They shed when going into a different phase, unlike tarantulas which shed when they get bigger

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
In my experience the bands or sefments in madagascar hissing cockroaches seem to expand and you can see a whitish stripe in between each one. Granted, this can can also happen way before the actual molt happens but the cockroaches always seem to molt within a week or so prior to these bands.