Questions about double clutches

Sana

Arachnoprince
Ive heard the term double clutch frequently in discussions about breeding tarantulas. My understanding of the term is that the tarantula produces a second egg sac within the same molt cycle but not simultaneous to the first. If that is correct how long on average between the two sacs?

Blue Jaye

Arachnobaron
That is correct. Time between egg sacs will depend on species. It usually happens about a month after the first sac hatches. Not all species will double clutch. Hope that helps:happy:

Sana

Arachnoprince
That is correct. Time between egg sacs will depend on species. It usually happens about a month after the first sac hatches. Not all species will double clutch. Hope that helps:happy:
It does help. Thanks!

Efrenista

Arachnopeon
i have a GBB that drop an egg sac a week ago, is there any chance it could drop another egf sac again?

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
It would be unheard of to have a female drop a second sac a year later (without an interveneing molt, of course), right? The species in question is Aphonopelma chalcodes. I paired both my females in the summer of 2017; both produced sacs the following spring but one did not turn out. Neither has molted since. One has kept herself holed up and shown astonishingly little interest in food while the other has been avidly eating and grown quite large again. Surely neither is going to produce another sac, right? My understanding is that if a second sac is going to be made, it will be within a few months. Although if any T’s take their time about things, it would be Aphonopelma... I wonder whether it would be worthwhile to dampen the substrate just in case? Or is that a ludicrous notion?