Questions about A. seemani

SplotchyClod

Arachnopeon
I recently purchased my first tarantula. I have been doing research for a few months about various beginner species to get, and I was originally looking at GBB or curly hair. However, after visiting my local pet store, I saw a tarantula marked as A. seemani for a good price and decided to get it. I believe that it is a subadult, and it is in a large-sized critter keeper for the time being with approximately 4-5" of substrate for burrowing. I have read conflicting information about the species, and so I would like to get some more in-depth information from other keepers.
I have had her since 2/8 and she has not eaten for me yet. She climbed the walls a fair bit on 2/11 but I have not seen her climbing any other time. I have been refilling a small water dish daily, and I spritz a little water in a corner where I made a starter burrow. However, it appears as though she started to make her own burrows in two spots, but she did not finish them. I plan on trying to offer her another super worm on 2/13. Does anyone have any suggestions for changes to the care and is this behavior normal after a rehouse? Should I continue with moistening a corner of the enclosure? I appreciate any advice that you all may be able to give me!

Here are some photos of the T and the enclosure.
Enclosure.jpg
A.seemani.PNG

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
I like the look of your setup, the Aphonopelma seemanni is a personal favorite of mine. My very first Tarantulas was an Aphonopelma seemanni.

The A.seemanni is fairly fossoreal, they do tend to dig and stay underground. I have found that once they are established into an enclosure, if you rehouse them they will pout and complain and mope about for weeks, until they settle in and dig a new burrow and start feeding again.

SplotchyClod

Arachnopeon
I like the look of your setup, the Aphonopelma seemanni is a personal favorite of mine. My very first Tarantulas was an Aphonopelma seemanni.

The A.seemanni is fairly fossoreal, they do tend to dig and stay underground. I have found that once they are established into an enclosure, if you rehouse them they will pout and complain and mope about for weeks, until they settle in and dig a new burrow and start feeding again.
Thank you so much for your quick response! I've read a couple of things about them moping for a bit, so hopefully she'll get acclimated fairly soon. I'm looking forward to seeing her burrow and really make the enclosure her own. I had never considered this species for my first T, but her markings are striking and I'm looking forward to getting more into the hobby.

Jaromysfuneral

Arachnopeon
She looks gorgeous and I like the setup a lot! Ours is also one of our more “moody” spiders, if it’s too dry she will hover over her water bowl until the enclosure is misted, we had her in a larger tub with lots of substrate for a while, but noticed she wasn’t so keen to the open space and either did the water bowl thing or was in her hide, so we moved her to a narrower critter keeper, gave her a bit more of a deeper elongated enclosure and I keep it somewhat humid. Since then she’s started acting a bit more like a t and even started webbing around her hide entrance. She is a fully matured spider, and won’t eat any other food than crickets so far, sometimes dubia roaches but not often. They’re kindof divas from what I hear from other keepers. Hoping for a good pairing this year! 31952F99-BC0B-4F10-B3CC-906127D1A5AD.jpeg

Thekla

Arachnoprince
I would still add a bit more substrate, for this species you want as much substrate as possible and a couple of inches more won't hurt. ;)
Keep the substrate slightly moist (seems a bit too dry right now) and get a bigger water dish, like a 2 oz deli cup for example, and make it almost level with the ground.

She looks nice and healthy, so, as long as she has water food won't be an issue. Try feeding her once a week or every other week.

Other than that, give her time to settle in and enjoy your new T. She's a beauty! :) Well, I keep saying 'she', do you know the sex?

Buffalo Ts

Arachnoknight

LOL this happened with my juvenile. Except weeks was more like a month.

cold blood

Staff member
And make sure the sub is tamped down tightly...this may be why she's digging holes and not a burrow.

jaw6053

Arachnobaron
I would dampen some of the substrate, at least at the lower levels. They love to dig too and will take about 1-3 weeks to settle in. 1st pic is from the 1st week I got mine. 2nd pic is after 3-4 weeks of having her.

Attachments