Questionable dots on abdomen

Altair

Arachnopeon
I was looking at my smithi today and noticed some strange stuff on its abdomen. Does anyone know what it is? I'm pretty sure it's not peat :(.

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
It looks like loose urticating hair. Sometimes it cones off in clumps like that, usually before molts IME, but sometimes just 'cause. Happened to most of my NWs, and it looks just like that.

Altair

Arachnopeon
Thanks for responding, Hobo. I removed a little bit of it a few hours ago, but now there's more and it's even bigger..

I think I'm just freaking out because I found what looks like mold in its tank and now there's fuzzy stuff on him :(

Newflvr

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Weird spot on butt

The more you mess with him/her the bigger the spot will be, it will actually start getting a bald spot. If you have noticed people talking about U-Hairs this is where they are flicked from. I'm fortunate they do not make me itch but you might not be so lucky so be careful. By the way nice looking T. Kevin

webbedone

Arachnobaron
That looks very questinable indeed and i dont think its a bold spot from U-hairs being cast off. It looks like what Tarantula keepers guide describes as mold.

It says to swab the infected area with "a 1 percent gentian violet solution." But be careful, it stains clothes and is also carcinogenic.

so yea i would definatly look into it.

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
Doesn't look anything like mold. That's urticating hair.
I certainly wouldn't be puttin' "gentelmens venitians" solution on it neither!

Newflvr

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Doesn't look anything like mold. That's urticating hair.
I certainly wouldn't be puttin' "gentelmens venitians" solution on it neither!
I agree, Brachys love to kick hairs. Hobo you beat me to it (experience is a good thing ).

jebbewocky

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
That looks very questinable indeed and i dont think its a bold spot from U-hairs being cast off. It looks like what Tarantula keepers guide describes as mold.

It says to swab the infected area with "a 1 percent gentian violet solution." But be careful, it stains clothes and is also carcinogenic.

so yea i would definatly look into it.
It's not mold, or a bald spot.
It's u-hairs the spider has kicked off, which have got stuck in the other u-hairs which are still attached. Completely benign, to the spider at any rate.

webbedone

Arachnobaron
it was mentioned that a patch of mold was discovered in the tank, so it wouldnt hurt to check it out. As far as 1 percent gentian violet solution goes thatrs recomended in Tarantulas Keeper Guide book by Stanley A. Schultz and Marguerite J. Schultz. So i assume it wouldnt be hurting the spider at all.

Altair

Arachnopeon
Thanks for all the input, I really appreciate everyone's opinions.

After looking at this thread, I feel a little better since it has similar pictures:
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=145523

I feel silly for panicking now, shouldn't have looked at pictures of tarantula mold on google...haha.

Thanks again for everything. :)

- Catherine

winwin

Arachnoknight
My boehmei has that, it became big at one point, it's not u-hairs, it's gone after the molt though.