Question

jere000

Arachnosquire
I wanted to know if Poecilotheria are arboreal T's I'm pretty sure this is really stupid but i had my mind set on just owning Avicularia but after seeing some Poecilotheria I'm thinking about possibly getting some of them to if there arboreal, also how do you guys water slings when there like under an inch i can't find any thing small enough to fit in a container like a pill bottle?

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
Yeah, they are arboreal.
Anything under 2" generally gets moist sub and/or misting every now and then.
Otherwise, waterdish.

bholmes

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yes they are.
If they are under an inch they do not need a water dish.

popcangenie

Arachnosquire
ahhh... i hate to read these treads you have not posted you have any tarantulas so im think you don't have any? pokies are defensive i would not recommend you getting one if you just starting out. try a avic they are calmer by far

sadly most tree dwelling sp are really defensive (besides the avics)

if you did not pick it up in my post yes they are tree dwelling or " arboreal "

start out with some calm tarantulas then work you way up

jere000

Arachnosquire
Yeah i own no tarantulas and I'm not to worried about aggressive T's but i planned on getting Avics first because purpurea are just so darn good looking:drool: lol thaks for the advice and i kinda figured you just misted them but wanted to be positive.

Fyreflye

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Heya Jere, good to see that you are doing some research and asking questions before deciding what to get. :D Avics ARE good looking spiders, just remember that they require more care in maintaining their habitats- moisture, humidity, etc. Poecilotheria (pokies) are also arboreals, but are known for being very fast and having a stronger venom.

jere000

Arachnosquire
Heya Jere, good to see that you are doing some research and asking questions before deciding what to get. :D Avics ARE good looking spiders, just remember that they require more care in maintaining their habitats- moisture, humidity, etc. Poecilotheria (pokies) are also arboreals, but are known for being very fast and having a stronger venom.
Oh yeas i heard this i also heard about the cross ventilation for the Avics do Poecilotheria require cross ventilation too?

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Go for the Avic first to get your feet wet, then go for a pokie :)

They are more skittish then anything. It's the speed you have to get used to & the level of venom they have is pretty bad stuff. Although there are tons of Avics & other groups of aboreals (Psalmopoeus & Tapinauchenius) that also tend to to be fast without the same level of venom.

Although I think that if someone does a good bit of research & has healthy respect for a non-beginner species, I don't think there is anything wrong with moving up a bit quicker :)

jere000

Arachnosquire
Go for the Avic first to get your feet wet, then go for a pokie :)

They are more skittish then anything. It's the speed you have to get used to & the level of venom they have is pretty bad stuff. Although there are tons of Avics & other groups of aboreals (Psalmopoeus & Tapinauchenius) that also tend to to be fast without the same level of venom.

Although I think that if someone does a good bit of research & has healthy respect for a non-beginner species, I don't think there is anything wrong with moving up a bit quicker :)
Alright thanks like i said i want to get a Purpurea before anything.

jere000

Arachnosquire
Could someone list all of the arboreal or for some of you tree dwelling species?

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
If you would like to get a first T i reccomend getting an Avic. You will most likely want to handle it. Most first time owners start handling and some change there opinion later.

Cant go wrong with any Avics. Not all poecilotheria are mean, nor are they docile. Most are shy and like to run. The big factor is venom though. It depends on each individual T. Cant go wrong with an avic. Slings can die for what seems to be no reason. So if your buying them under 1" get a couple. Or if you have a larger budget go for a adult female. Welcome to the boards and the addiction BTW. :D -Doug

jere000

Arachnosquire
If you would like to get a first T i reccomend getting an Avic. You will most likely want to handle it. Most first time owners start handling and some change there opinion later.

Cant go wrong with any Avics. Not all poecilotheria are mean, nor are they docile. Most are shy and like to run. The big factor is venom though. It depends on each individual T. Cant go wrong with an avic. Slings can die for what seems to be no reason. So if your buying them under 1" get a couple. Or if you have a larger budget go for a adult female. Welcome to the boards and the addiction BTW. :D -Doug
Yeah i like all of the colors of Avics.

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Lampropelma sp.
Haploclastus sp.
Cyriopagopus sp.
Iridopelma sp.
Encyocratella sp.
Avicularia sp.
Heteroscodra sp.
Poecilotheria sp.
Psalmopoeus sp.
Tapinauchenius sp.

If you go to the gallery uptop, select tarantulas, then select genus, you can look at the genus I listed & can see the individual species within each.

WARPIG

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Get every avi available, thats what I am doing{D

PIG-

Motorkar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Plus 1,000,000
Just wait until we cant get WC avics anymore :eek:
Captive breeding FTW!:cool:

Get A. versicolor. These are so stunning! And they change their color every molt cycle until adults. ;P Or better yet, get each one in Avicularia species, they are so stunning generally! ;P

Pokies are so stunning as well, especially P. metallica in a dark form.:drool::drool::drool: I hope I will be able to get one of these one day! If you would really get one, be prepared for star trek transporting onto your hand, saw that once, that was a bit fast! :eek:

jere000

Arachnosquire
Get every avi available, thats what I am doing{D

PIG-
Already planned first Purpurea than a Diversipes i believe is what it's called and hurriana or something like that lol I don't remember there names.There's a lot of arboreal species wow interesting thanks for the info.