Question

SpiderFood

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have an H. arizonensis that I have had for a while now and I have been keeping its humidity at about 75% or so and the temp on it about 80 degreesF and at night letting it cool down a bit to about 65, Today I noticed that its very sluggish, the tail is resting on the ground and its usually high strung and now I could handle it if I wanted to. Is this behavior due to an oncoming molt or am I gonna lose my little desert hairy. Its about 4 inches chelicerae to telson, I have another I just got and its doing fine under the same conditions. What should I conclude on this one.

thanks

dale

Frank

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
As SaIiLdVaEnR said, drop the humidity to the lowest possible. If needed, add a lamp spot to dry out the tank.

75% humidity is too high for that desert scorpion.

Good luck!

SpiderFood

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well guys I really appreciate the info but I do believe that this is the end for the "hairy", it barely moves now. Its mouthparts are kinda hangin out of its mouth and a leg or two will twitch every now and then, the only thing I can do now is drop the humidity on the other one to avoid this act of ignorance again. I wish I had known a little more about this sp. before now. Well I guess you live and learn but I hate the thought that an act of un educated keeping doomed my coolest scorp. I have already put a lamp on the other and later I am mixing some sand with its substrate, is this a good idea? Thanx for the info, it is cherished.

later

dale

:(

Frank

Arachnobaron
Old Timer

What is his substrate if you said that you'll add sand? They're a desert species, and live in the US desert which is IMK sandy with small rocks (gravel), it isn't 100% sand.

Anyhow, adding sand would never be a bad idea, as they love to have a lot of substrate to dig in it like crazy! ;)

Silver.x

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
sorry to hear that, but even with the grim outlook I hope everythin goes well.

SpiderFood

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well, I have never been to one of the deserts here in the US but from what I gather its sandy yes but more of a dirt/sand mix with the rocks, as I said I have never been to one so my outlook may be way off but I had it on peat/gravel mix. I read somewhere that if they burrow the peat would help keep it stable and help keep from collapsing. I checked on the little guy a few minutes ago and he has passed. The other is still doing nicely, I put it on the sand/gravel/and small amount of peat mix and put in a lid from a salad dressing bottle for a waterdish. I welcome any hints on keeping desert species to avoid this in the future. Most of my other scorps are from Africa and require higher humidity so I thought that a desert species would welcome the moisture more so than a tropical sp. but I guess in the end you really have to keep them as close to nature as possible.

thanx for the support and info

later

dale

Originally posted by Frank

What is his substrate if you said that you'll add sand? They're a desert species, and live in the US desert which is IMK sandy with small rocks (gravel), it isn't 100% sand.

Anyhow, adding sand would never be a bad idea, as they love to have a lot of substrate to dig in it like crazy! ;)

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
SpiderFood,
I'm sorry, hon. I lost my H. arizonensis just yesterday.

A question for those who know; what is the life expectancy for a H. arizonensis? And, the OPTIMUM conditions for their care? I kept my Spike as follows:
*SUBSTRATE; It was a mix, that I got from Kug. There were rocks to hide under, as well as, I had started a burrow for him.
* TEMP; In the area of 80's.
* WATER; I've been told to not provide a water dish, as they derive all needed moisture from their prey.

Peace, light & eternal love...
Gillian
)0(

Richard_uk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
WATER; I've been told to not provide a water dish, as they derive all needed moisture from their prey.

I have found this not to be the case. I have a hunch that the scorpion in question might be dehydrated if its mouth parts are hanging out.
I had had my hadrurus Arizonensis for a good 7 months and never gave it a water dish. It seemed to be fine but over the course of a few weeks its behaviour changed. It became less active, not digging quite so much. I observed what appeared to be the scorpion 'sucking' sand granules with its mouthparts. Also, it spent a lot of time pressed up close to the glass, 'tasting' it with its chelicerae.
The scorpion itself seemed duler, the colouring faded and its metasoma seemed to look bruised. It looked hollow, as if there was nothing in each segment but a hollow void. I took the hint and placed a small water dish, 3"x1"deep and half filled it with water. I gave the scorp a head start and dipped his head into the water. Within seconds he was drinking away. He returned to the bowl continuosly for the next few days.
I'm happy to say he made a full recovery. He digs like crazy, eats like a horse and can regularly be seen taking a swig from his dish!

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
Over the last couple of years I have been experimenting with various methods of keeping various desert/dry species. I have come to the conclusion that the best method that has been sucessful for me for most species is to have a dry substrate with a small water dish which I add water to once a week with some minimal overflow. I have found the lids from juice/gator aid bottles work well for this. I also will ligtly-moderately mist the enclosure every two weeks or so...

I have discovered the under substrate method is NOT good...too much humidity...though that may have been my fault...regardless I now believe using this is overkill for desert species...However, I have been very successful using this method with Heterometrus.

On my very small desert species such as V.coahuilae(1.5-2"/3-4cm) or non-high-humidity babies scorpions I have had excellent results NOT using a water dish but by heavily misting one corner of the enclosure twice a week. I also cover most of the top with plastic wrap for larger enclosures or keep the juveniles in delicups with only a few pinholes to keep the humidity higher.

With my V.coahuilae I moderately-heavily mist the enclosure once a week with feeding...all six I have in the communal enclosure are very active and appear healthy...one has even given birth. No plastic on the lid for these guys.

With some juvenile Centruroides I have; they have grown from 2nd instar to 5th or 6th instar (so far ) and appear to be thriving. I started the Centruroides in delicups with a few pinholes until I transferred them to a larger enclosure with most of the lid covered by plastic. They are communal and have a range of sizes from 3rd to 6th instar in the same enclosure...the 6th instar size in under 2". They get a moderate-heavy misting twice a week.

This has also worked for raising juvenile M.martensii.

My only losses to date with this method have been due to cannibalism or in one case a bad molt...brought about by attempted cannibalism. :rolleyes:

I have had much greater losses (50%) when I have used any sort of waterdish with scorpions this size. With 1/2" scorpions even 1-2mmm of water has enough surface tension to drown them...or with sponges they can get stuck along the side or their tibial hooks can get caught in the sponge itself.

However...for juveniles of species such as Heterometrus and Pandinus I WOULD recommend the use a small shallow dish of some sort...of course the babies are much larger to start with.

John
];')

Last edited:

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Originally posted by SaIiLdVaEnR
H.Arizonensis can live for 20 years.
:( :8o

Thanks for responding..I guess this means I killed him..:(

Peace, light & eternal love..
Gillian
)0(

Silver.x

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Maybe not you, but stress may have been a factor, they can ive UPTO, which means not all will. Don't feel to bad about it though it's not your fault.

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Thanks for the sweet reply...:)
Still..I do feel bad..

Peace, light & eternal love..
Gillian
)0(

Frank

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Mine died one year after getting it. He could have been already quite old.. nobody knows with WC specimens..