Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

Question

Discussion in 'Scorpions' started by Trexer, Jun 12, 2008.

1. Trexer

Trexer Arachnoknight

Advertisement
    Right i didn't worry at first as i know Emps won't eat for a while sometimes, but my emp hasn't eaten anything in about a month now, he is an adult so he won't be coming up to a moult. I keep luring food into his lair and the hoppers just climb over him without him reacting alot of the time, and when he does react he doesnt bother to catch it and eat it, more like just look threatening and nudge it off, then he just sits back down. I've tried holding mealworms etc in tweezers infront of him too but he just doesnt seem to go for the food, any ideas?

2. BadBikaDamo

BadBikaDamo Arachnoknight

Have you tried a 'cooling of' period where you leave the scorp completely alone (except for water changes) for a couple of weeks, then try again?

If this dowsn't work, try demobilizing the locust (not nice but worth a go).

Are the locusts a good size (med/large sub adult)?

Damo

3. JeffX

JeffX Arachnosquire

Sometimes scorpions don't eat for months. It happens.

By the way what are the temps? How is your tank set up?

4. To substantiate this fact... I had several scorps Hets and P imps fast for 12 to 16 weeks over the winter months, 3 scorps which were quite pregnant too.

5. Trexer

Trexer Arachnoknight

Well i've left it alone for about 2 weeks, i just threw food in and water changed for about 2 weeks. The temperature is normally 25-30 Degrees Celsius, When it heats up to 30 the heating bulb turns off until it goes back down to 25 and then it turns on again. For the past 2-3 days thought the bulb has been broken, so temperature has been 25-27. need to get a new bulb when i get a chance really, but we're having quite hot days at the moment here in England :) So i assumed that would help heat the enclosure. The tank i think is fine, got potting soil with peat and vermiculate as substrate, got a nice big cork hide, the floor is covered in alot of Shagnum moss to keep the humidity up. And just the odd stones in there for deco. I wouldnt think it is the enclosure causing the problem as he was eating fine before he stopped for the past 3-4 weeks

6. They can fast for months. Don't be surprised by 3-4 weeks.

7. Aztek

Aztek Arachnoprince

Mine didn't eat for five months.

8. Trexer

Trexer Arachnoknight

Well one of the two hoppers i've put in has dissapeared so i think my emp might of eaten it :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.