question

Exodus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I've had my 2nd T for 2 months, and have been wanting a new one for a week or so,I was thinking about a P. Cambridgei, But wasn't sure, If you have an opinion to a T I should get, Please say so.

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Ben B.
If you have an opinion to a T I should get, Please say so.
Go to the thread "NEWBIE looking for advice" under the Tarantula's forum. There were a whole bunch of suggestions for different species from different people. It may help you out, or it may confuse you more. At any rate, you'll probably wind up with several. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Botar

Exodus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks for the advice, But just to alert people I've owned tarantulas for atleast 7 months.So i'm no newbie:D Not to be rude.

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
P cambridgei is about as close to a pokie as you're going to get in a new world T - you should keep that in mind.

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Ben B.
Thanks for the advice, But just to alert people I've owned tarantulas for atleast 7 months.So i'm no newbie:D Not to be rude.
Not to worry... I didn't say you were a newbie... that was the name of the thread. It just covered the same topic.

Botar

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
Ben,
I had a P cambridgei, I think I posted here about it molting into a mature male, and all the crazy stuff that happened when I tried to ship him off.
They are super fast, and can be really aggressive..but if you are prepared...then it's ok.
They generally stay put once they build a web, at least that is my experience.
just be prepared for lightening fast running, and threat displays if it feels threatened

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
P. cambridgei is one of my all-time favorites. Olive green with nice peachy cheveron markings, plus they're big and bulky for an aboreal. Not a great choice for handling, but more of a display tarantula.

As Holley says, they're quite fast. I've never had any of my three females go into a threat display, the big risk is that they'll run away. Males are more spazzy. I haven't found them to be as fast of fiesty as Poecilotheria, but their genus are more closely related to the pokes than they are to any other new world genera.

I've been keeping arachnids for 12 years now, and I still consider myself a newbie in many ways :)

Wade

Here's a pic of one of mine by Art Evans:

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
Wade,
so true! My male only went into a threat display AFTER he ran circles around my arm and waist, and I chased him around my living room for a few minutes. I think he got tired of running, and finally had had enough!
It was a most impressive display, I might add, since his legspan is well over 6". Don't ask me HOW I finally got him packed into his deli cup either!
I certainly didn't choose to handle him, but it seems they would rather run, than bite.

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Holley-

The males are awsome looking spiders though...the long hairy legs are surely an arachnophobe's worst nightmare! I wonder if they have any gliding ability, it's easy to imagine them parachuting to escape a hungry female.

Wade

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
good question Wade! He literally teleported himself from my body, to the living room rug....almost like he launched himself.
He also hit the ground running..it was amazing! I wish someone had been home to video it, would've been a great instructional video on what *not* to do, in packing a mature male P cambridgei :)
But all's well that ends well!