Question

Arachnopuppy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Another of my tarantulas just finished molting like an hour ago. It is holding really tightly to its old skin. Why do they do that?

luther

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Sentimentality, like how men don't like to throw away their tatty old underwear.;)

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
lam,
My blondi will full out attack my tongs when I fish her exuvium out. She's normally very laid back. Then, there's my Tigerrump. Molted before I sent it off to its new home. Little thing eats its exuvium, and gets VERY upset, if I take the skin.
Peace,
Gillian

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
A couple of mine lay on it until they flip... then they stay VERY CLOSE to it. I wonder if it's exuvium security issues?

dennis

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Yep, my P. cambridgei did the same thing. Attacked the tong I used to get his old skin, and he even dragged the old skin further back into his web... Pretty obvious he wanted to keep it.

Dennis

defour

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Mine seem to concentrate mostly on the abdominal portions of the molt. I think what they're doing is "sucking" on the molt to recover whatever fluid is left; just an economic strategy. The disadvantage for me is that they munch up the molt enough to make sexing it more difficult.

Steve