Question to any large adult Brachypelma keepers.

Ancistrus

Arachnopeon
I have an adult female B. Auratum, her colors look really faded and she moves rather slow (but brachys are slow movers).
She ate a mealworm two days ago, but was kind of slow of catching the prey.
I see her move around at times against the glass climbing to the top of the ceiling of the enclosure, but not upside down (enclosure is not that high, about 1.5 times taller than her).
She kicked hair once when I was padding down the substrate one time. (so she is alert)

Question is:
How often do large adult female Brachys molt and how long is the pre-molt?
Do they still eat a little during pre-molt?
Is a long pre-molt a sign of a bad molt to come? or a wet-molt? or perhaps impaction?

KaroKoenig

Arachnobaron
Can take a year or longer between molts. Premolt hunger strike can last months. Not unusual. Be patient, provide water.

(edit): Also, could you show us a photo of the enclosure? Just to make sure about why she deems herself an arboreal.

Last edited:

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
I'd say every 2-5 years is a safe assumption for most. The pre-molt length mostly depends on how quickly they fill up to the point of refusing food (meal size and feeding schedule.)

Not usually, but tarantulas are unpredictable, so you can't rule it out. Once they refuse food, offer once a month, and see what happens. Sometimes you don't think they'll eat, but you offer and they'll take one after being on a hunger strike for a while.

Is a long pre-molt a sign of a bad molt to come? or a wet-molt? or perhaps impaction?
No, no, and no.

Adult females are done growing. They're not supposed to molt all the time. It can be counter-productive to mating successfully, so they shouldn't be doing it often for that reason as well. It is a good thing for them to do occasionally to get their urticating hairs back, shed anything bad on their exterior, and regrow limbs.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
My SAF emilia currently goes around a 15 months between moults, my AF hamorii currently goes around 2 - 2.5 years between moults, duration of pre-moult varies, if you feed heavily then it's going to be longer, my hamorii refused to eat for 5 weeks before her last moult, my emilia ate 3 weeks prior to surprising me with a moult.

Nope on all counts.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Question is:
1. Depends on many variables- mentioned TONS of times on here.
2. Some do
3. No on long pre-molt- it's not a bad thing. Also, there's not a soul on here that can tell you scientifically what pre-molt time length is due to #1.

Many people need to stop being concerned about pre-molt, need to stop worrying about molt rates (curious yes, worried- NO).