Question regarding t.albopilosum molt

SuleymanC

Arachnoknight
Hi I know the way how female molts look but I got a molt from t.albopilosum his body looks very like a male but I did find 2 parts that I could lift up and down but I couldn't see anything thats like antenna looking on both end sides so my question is as much as it might sound silly I want to ask it anyway, does males have molts like that too without the antenna like looking part included? I havent checked male molt in a while so its really difficult to remember how they looked and I was going to show a picture of the molt too but my camera doesnt take a clear picture of that area as much as i tried to so I am afraid I wont be able to show the picture to people that ask but this question and answer I get to what I described should be able to tell me the answer I am looking for

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
if by antenna you are talking about spermathecae, no males do not have them only female have them, males have epiandrous fusillae

SuleymanC

Arachnoknight
if by antenna you are talking about spermathecae, no males do not have them only female have them, males have epiandrous fusillae
On molt's abdomen part I see all the parts females have too but I cant find the spermathecae, but my question was those stuff I found are they normal on males too? like I said I didnt check male molt in a long time so since I could find all the parts except for the spermathecae I dont want to confuse male from female.. should males have stuff like that too or there is nothing at all on it that you can flip up or down?

SuleymanC

Arachnoknight
Males do not posses spermatheca
So the middle abdomen is completely empty right? There's nothing at all there right? Neither spermatheca or other parts that can flip up or down..?

Males do not posses spermatheca
But I did find something transparent looking on this molt even though I couldn't see any spermatheca that looks like antenna so that makes me why I'm not sure of gender because I see female indications on molt but can't find all the evidence I need that it's female that's why I'm still not sure if male or female

By the way @Smotzer I'm sorry if my questions bother you but these are important questions to be able to find out the gender single I get no luck at spotting those antenna looking things but everything else is very much looking like female

Last edited by a moderator:

SuleymanC

Arachnoknight
You could post a photo of the interior of your spider's moult to the Spermethecae Sexing Gallery if you wanted to be sure.
I posted it, by the way the species is t.albopilosum as you can see from post's title :) I could find mickey mouse looking things that I circled it red but nothing that looks like antenna which tarantula keepers call them spermethecae :) real name of that part :)

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
By the way @Smotzer I'm sorry if my questions bother you but these are important questions to be able to find out the gender single I get no luck at spotting those antenna looking things but everything else is very much looking like female
Your not bothering me I was just at work and then driving home. I can not say from my end either way whether or not it is female but if it’s in the gallery we can take a look there and see !

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hi I know the way how female molts look but I got a molt from t.albopilosum his body looks very like a male but I did find 2 parts that I could lift up and down but I couldn't see anything thats like antenna looking on both end sides so my question is as much as it might sound silly I want to ask it anyway, does males have molts like that too without the antenna like looking part included? I havent checked male molt in a while so its really difficult to remember how they looked and I was going to show a picture of the molt too but my camera doesnt take a clear picture of that area as much as i tried to so I am afraid I wont be able to show the picture to people that ask but this question and answer I get to what I described should be able to tell me the answer I am looking for
no males have antenna

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
You look for epiandrous fusillae when vent sexing.

So the middle abdomen is completely empty right? There's nothing at all there right? Neither spermatheca or other parts that can flip up or down..?
Males have what are generally referred to as "Accessory organs", these are little transparent nubs that are usually smaller and shaped differently from spermathecae.

A good idea if you're not sure is to Google "[species you want to sex] spermathecae" to get images to compare to.

Anyway, I checked the image you posted in the sexing gallery and it's female (pic of my female with paper under the spermathecae for comparison).

Tliltocatl albopilosus (HF).JPG

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
I was just pointing out that you referenced a key for ventral sexing when the OP is trying to moult sex.
I see now that it wasnt clear, I was pointing out that males do not have spermatheca and giving him the name for what they do have when trying to ID in general, it wasnt in reference to ventral or dorsal just information on organ names for both sexes. Perhaps it could have been more clear!!