Question regarding Poecilotheria bara

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
Hello all!

Was the species Poecilotheria bara removed from the synonymy of Poecilotheria subfusca? I'm quite familiar with the old controversy of the lowland and highland P. subfusca and how it is or was thought that P. subfusca "lowland" is P. bara, however there are quite a bit of classified postings from sellers offering Poecilotheria bara and I can't find any info on a paper removing this species from the synonym of P. subfusca. I'm not looking to resurrect an old argument, I just want to know if I missed a taxonomic paper.

Thanks!

Lonnie

Poxicator

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've heard the Germans are trying to get a paper together although the current draft isnt believed to have credible arguments. Having spoken to Andrew Smith and Peter Kirk about this "species" I think as soon as the paper is reviewed the discussions against will start.
But, of course there are people out there who are willing to go with the idea of this being a different species, and willing to pay for it. Demand and supply eh!

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
Thanks for the responses. So it appears Poecilotheria bara is still a junior synonym of Poecilotheria subfusca whether some want to believe it or not.