Question Regarding Mixing Sand and Excavator Clay

biohazard1324

Arachnopeon
I keep seeing that mixing excavator clay and sand is the best substrate but I'm not sure whether it means quite literally mix the two together or use both in the same enclosure (i.e. set up burrows and caverns like it shows on the cavern kit) maybe I'm just slow, anything helps.

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
I keep seeing that mixing excavator clay and sand is the best substrate but I'm not sure whether it means quite literally mix the two together or use both in the same enclosure (i.e. set up burrows and caverns like it shows on the cavern kit) maybe I'm just slow, anything helps.
Where did you see this at? I have never read where sand and excavator clay is best. In my opinion its probably the worst, I would rate it right next to aquarium gravel.

Coco fiber or top soil are probably your best options.

Almadabes

Arachnoknight
I have also not seen this often...

The few references to that clay and sand I have seen are about mixing it with other things as an additive to help with burrowing- top soil, coco, peat, etc
Using it as a majority of the substrate I would not recommend but I haven't had much exp with it.
I'd say soil or coco should be the majority of the substrate.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
Soil and Coco Fibre, sometimes I toss in some Peat and Vermiculite

Dorifto

He who moists xD
excavator clay is basically clay with sand, so adding more sand will make the mix weaker.

I wouldn´t use clay excavator as a substrate for Ts, even for the desert ones. A much better option would be a mix of topsoil and a clay based substrate. This will give you a very nice substrate for burrowers, even the topsoil alone will work flawlessly.

mickiem

Arachnoprince
Sand + clay = concrete. I'm not sure this could ever be a good idea! For my sand swimming skinks I use 1 part excavator clay, 3 parts Jurassic sand and 2 parts pine fines. But that is a unique set up. For average set ups I would use cocoa fiber, leaf compost, pine fines and shredded, rotten hardwoods. You can tell from others' comments that anything goes. Except concrete. Do mention what animals you are containing and you will get more specific suggestions and advice. Or if you don't have anything that will eat the substrate you can use cocoa fiber alone.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
but don't use any Pine Based stuff with your Ts, phenols (aromatic hydrocarbons) aren't good for your Ts

mickiem

Arachnoprince
Good advice, @Matt Man . Also don't use pine or other resinous woods (fir, eucalyptus, juniper, cedar, etc.) with millipeds.

PGRVII

Arachnosquire
I have 2 slings in a mix of about 60%excavator,30% sand and 10% soil. So far both are doing well. I also made a 12x12x12" exoterra a habitat for my M.balfouri. Definitely provides some challenges to work with but I liked it for this project. Hope this helps!

http://instagr.am/p/B9FMvV_BCya/

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
Good advice, @Matt Man . Also don't use pine or other resinous woods (fir, eucalyptus, juniper, cedar, etc.) with millipeds.
Yes, anything that has a lovely smell is throwing off aromatic hydrocarbons (phenols) which is unhealthy in a semi closed environment

chrisd

Arachnopeon
Where did you see this at? I have never read where sand and excavator clay is best. In my opinion its probably the worst, I would rate it right next to aquarium gravel.

Coco fiber or top soil are probably your best options.
I know you left this message couple years ago, but I've found that most Ts are living on clay soil in the wild not coco coir. Although, I would side more on top soil better than coco coir that can mold pretty easily. In my area where we find our indigenous Ts, who are living in brown or yellow clay soil in Asian. In Tanzania or Kenya for instance.. We have the P. muticus living in red clay red sand mix substrate that are amended with a nutritious cocktails from either rotting trees, or decaying plant/animal matter from the surface which makes to soil rich and organic after a heavy rain. I truly have nothing against clay, for as long as you mix em with other stuff that will make it a truly organic rich haven for other micro organisms such as springtails or dwarf white Isopods.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Just an FYI. Sand plus clay = 'sandy loam'. Very commonly found in nature along estuaries and alluvial fans. If you want sandy loam by the ton find an aggregate company with their source in one of those areas. Ask for unwashed sand. They always have a few huge piles of it.