Question regarding defanged Pede.

ragnew

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hey guys,

My newest beastie (Indonesian Black-Tipped) arrived today, and I've gotta say it's one sweet looking little Pede. I do have a question though.

The Pede has been defanged, and I was wondering how long it usually takes for them to grow back? Is it complete after one molt, or does it take several of them? I'm going to have to give it pre-killed bugs for the time being, as it can't kill the insects on it's own. Gotta give the little guy credit for trying (which he does like mad), but it's just not going his way, haha.

Thanks for the info, I did try a search and nothing too specific was presented in the results.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
should be a molt or two, depending on how much they clipped off and how long ago

i've had cents regen a black fang in one molt, so they can do some pretty impressive regrowth in one molt

incidentily i pretty much feed all my bugs freshly prekilled. some cents are really wimpy and run away a lot. plus, it keeps the number of glasswalker roach escaping from other bug containers down, heh

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
ok i just gotta ask ;) how do you kill em?
when i feed out i take a bunch of roaches from my colony containers and putthem in a bucket. from the bucket i use 8" tweezers to move individual roaches into the predator's cage. when i grab them with the tweezers i just make sure to catch their head or "neck" area and crush it. it doesn't take that much longer for me to do it rather than just grab them and pitch the feeder into the predator's container.... though in summer when it gets warm then some species of roaches are really quick. Blatta lateralis, especially.

bistrobob85

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wow, i didnt know that people actually DEFANGED centipedes... i find it pretty horrible... Isn't it wonderfull that they can actually live without them for a while and grow some new ones back... I somehow feel relieved to hear that but i'm pretty sure that some of them die from getting defanged...

phil.

slimtim454

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Can antenna grow back with molts? How many molts would it take for a leg to grow back?

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
i believe antenna grow back. the q was asked a while ago and the consensus seemed to be they regen.

how many molts for a leg breaks down kinda like this: if the walking leg is lost right after the last molt it will possibly be just about normal size on the next molt, as it has the maximum amount of time to regrow. if the leg is lost just before molt it might not perceptibly regen when the skin is shed, and will probably regain most of the length on next molt.

terminal legs seem to take at least two full intermolt periods to grow back to just about normal length. you can see a lot of centipedes have regen'ed a terminal by the fact one is considerably smaller than the other. the size should match up after another molt or two.

it is possible to have cases where a leg or antenna does not regrow.... the animal needs to retain the germinal cells. in a tarantula the germinal cells are in the coxa, or "shoulder joint". if the coxa is lost (and the tara doesn't bleed to death, as the coxa is also where they have a clamp down point to limit "blood" loss) then the tarantula will not regen that leg ever. i would not be terribly surprised if a similar situation exists for cents

edit:
the age and life stage of the centipede probably effects the lengths of time to regen stuff. in humans and other higher animals babies and juveniles generate new cells at something like several hundred percent the rate that a like, "post-maturity" specimen would. think of how long it takes a 6 or 7 year old human to regen a cut versus a 90 year old.

slimtim454

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well his leg is entirely off from the body. No stub or anything. I'm starting to think it wont grow back.

ragnew

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks for the info Caco, as always much appreciated. He's a small little tyke, well compare to both my subspinipes anyway, so I'm hoping he'll molt here pretty quickly.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Well his leg is entirely off from the body. No stub or anything. I'm starting to think it wont grow back.
All the pedes I've had that have all of the visible leg missing have grown them back. I can't add much to all Caco has said. I suppose it might be possible that a molt might be postponed a little longer to give the new appendage time to regenerate before the molt happens, just speculating on that.

slimtim454

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
All the pedes I've had that have all of the visible leg missing have grown them back. I can't add much to all Caco has said. I suppose it might be possible that a molt might be postponed a little longer to give the new appendage time to regenerate before the molt happens, just speculating on that.
Well thats nice to know. Hopefully his leg will grow back next molt or two.