Question regarding ammonia

Skelekitten29

Arachnopeon
We are going to be doing some bone cleaning/decreasing soon. The most effective way to do that is to fill up a 5 gallon bucket with a solution of water, dawn dishsoap, and ammonia and keep it at 118F for several weeks. We plan to do this in a well ventilated area away from where the tarantulas are kept obviously, but I still have concerns about the potential hazard to them if the fumes should creep indoors. I know that bleach can kill them in just a few minutes, but I haven't been able to find much about the toxicity of ammonia. The health and safety of my tarantulas is the most important thing so the cleaning process can be modified if needed.

DaveM

ArachnoOneCanReach
Old Timer
Insect collectors sometimes use ammonia in their killing jars. Very toxic to to insects and spiders.
If you mix ammonia and bleach together, you could make chloramine gas that could kill you too.
You will do this bone cleaning outdoors? That's good.
I'm glad to see you use the pronoun "We" -- so not all of your cohabitants are getting their bones cleaned... yet. :)👍

Last edited:

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Unless you're actually pouring it onto the tarantula or trying to gas it to death with the fumes then I doubt it's going to cause any problems.

Skelekitten29

Arachnopeon
Insect collectors sometimes use ammonia in their killing jars. Very toxic to to insects and spiders.
If you mix ammonia and bleach together, you could make chloramine gas that could kill you too.
I'm glad to see you use the pronoun "We" -- so not all of your cohabitants are getting their bones cleaned... yet. :)👍
Yes, it'll be done outdoors. Bleach should never be used on bone because it decalcifies and makes them fall apart over time. I'll be using a peroxide bath to whiten after they're cleaned. No chloramine gas for me thanks. Just wondering if it'll be safe for my spiders to use it near the house.

Dorifto

He who moists xD
Yep, a friend of mine did exactly that, nice fumes 😂😂😂😂 when I heard this thing bubbles I inmediately knew what he did 😂😂😂

He is the kind of a guy who puts concentrate soap in the dishwasher...

DaveM

ArachnoOneCanReach
Old Timer
Yes, it'll be done outdoors. Bleach should never be used on bone because it decalcifies and makes them fall apart over time. I'll be using a peroxide bath to whiten after they're cleaned. No chloramine gas for me thanks. Just wondering if it'll be safe for my spiders to use it near the house.
No one can know as well as you particular factors specific to your situation, like how well-sealed your house is around the area you will be performing the operation, and how much outdoor air movement or wind will there be to disperse the ammonia. It's probably safe. If you can't smell the ammonia inside your house, then it's probably fine.

On another note, have you ever used dermestid beetles for an initial cleaning? I haven't yet, but was thinking about trying it depending on how much certain people annoy me.
Good luck with your work 👍

Skelekitten29

Arachnopeon
On another note, have you ever used dermestid beetles for an initial cleaning? I haven't yet, but was thinking about trying it depending on how much certain people annoy me
I have a starter colony of them, yeah. They won't be able to clean anything large for a few months though.

coolnweird

Arachnobaron
I have a starter colony of them, yeah. They won't be able to clean anything large for a few months though.
I know it's not on topic per say, but I'd love to hear an update on your beetles once your colony grows! I have vague plans to acquire some as pets/bone cleaners at some point in the future. Best of luck with your Ts!

DaveM

ArachnoOneCanReach
Old Timer
I know it's not on topic per say, but I'd love to hear an update on your beetles once your colony grows! I have vague plans to acquire some as pets/bone cleaners at some point in the future. Best of luck with your Ts!
I second that. If you really get into these beetles and we don't hear an update, we're going to have to assume that they have cleaned your bones as well. Then who will take care of your tarantulas?

Skelekitten29

Arachnopeon
so far the beetles are fantastic. I fed them a cut up hotdog when they arrived, it's a suitable substitute until I get them a small skull to clean or scraps from the local butcher. No worries about cleaning my bones, they won't eat anything live. I will certainly post updates if you're all interested.

coolnweird

Arachnobaron
so far the beetles are fantastic. I fed them a cut up hotdog when they arrived, it's a suitable substitute until I get them a small skull to clean or scraps from the local butcher. No worries about cleaning my bones, they won't eat anything live. I will certainly post updates if you're all interested.
I always wondered, and please excuse me if this is a silly question, but can you feed them frozen thawed rodents? Like one might offer to a snake? Seems like they'd be easy to access, and you'd get a lot of tiny rodent bones in return for you know, bone purposes.

Skelekitten29

Arachnopeon
They will not eat fur/hair, eyes, horns, or hooves- they're indigestible due to the keratin content. I would have to skin them first. Unlike snakes who will digest and use the entire mouse, the nutritional payoff for dermestids isn't enough for me to skin one for them when I can get everything they need from the meat marked for the same price as feeder mice.

coolnweird

Arachnobaron
They will not eat fur/hair, eyes, horns, or hooves- they're indigestible due to the keratin content. I would have to skin them first. Unlike snakes who will digest and use the entire mouse, the nutritional payoff for dermestids isn't enough for me to skin one for them when I can get everything they need from the meat marked for the same price as feeder mice.
That makes sense, thank you!