Question: raising Cyriocosmus elegans

-Sarah-

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Has anyone ever had a Trinidad Dwarf tarantula? I've been looking to add a new addition to the "family" but I haven't been able to find any actual information on this specific tarantula. Any advice/help about it would be appreciated!!

Much thanks :)

-Sarah

The Red Queen

Mrs. TarCan
C. elegans are pretty easy to raise. They are voracious eaters and will tackle prey at least their own size (sometimes bigger). They like high humidity (when we found them in Trinidad, the humidity was between 75 and 85%). They will burrow a lot, but I find that they are not really shy. Adults will live happily and breed in a deli cup or small kritter keeper.

Has anyone ever had a Trinidad Dwarf tarantula? I've been looking to add a new addition to the "family" but I haven't been able to find any actual information on this specific tarantula. Any advice/help about it would be appreciated!!

Much thanks :)

-Sarah

Wadew

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Sarah,
I keep C elegans that I can attest are an incredible Dwarf sp.! and are extremely easy too keep 1/2 the season in tropical trinidad is the "dry" season and the other 1/2 is wet so C.elegans can actually handle a dry spell for a bit. Like amanda says they are very good eaters and will climb on top of a prekilled cricket twice there size to eat ..... I have a question for Amanda were the latest batch of C.elegans I got from you and Martin collected in Northern trinidad or were they south in the central range? Sarah if you do a search you will find some awsome photo's of Amanda and Martin's last trip to trinidad!
Cheers Wade

Last edited:

The Red Queen

Mrs. TarCan
1/2 the season in tropical trinidad is the "dry" season and the other 1/2 is wet so C.elegans can actually handle a dry spell for a bit.
Keep in mind they even during the "dry" season in Trinidad, the ambient humidity is still 75%. When we collected the specimens for our breeding projects it was the dry season, but the soil where the C. elegans lived was never completely dry.

I have a question for Amanda were the latest batch of C.elegans I got from you and Martin collected in Northern trinidad or were they south in the central range?
The mother of the spiderlings you received was collected in northern Trinidad. If I remember correctly, the father was collected near the central/east coast.

-Sarah-

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Amanda and Wadew,

Thanks so much for the info! I was a little concerned about what humidity/moisture to keep them at. Would a light, frequent misting be sufficient for humidity and moisture issue? I don't want to get the terrarium soaked (mold and fungus - eek) but I don't want it to be too dry. I heard they can be a little crazy at times but from what pictures I've seen of them, they're a gorgeous species :D I guess now the C. elegans hunt is on!

Thanks again,

-Sarah

-Sarah-

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks Amanda, and thanks for the link, Tarcan. I seem to have missed that one.... :rolleyes: (gee, I wonder how that happened) it was very informative. I think I'm ready to find myself one and make it a happy home!

Thanks again!

-Sarah