Question on New B. Smithi Sling

Laceymiir

Arachnopeon
Hello. I'm new to the hobby and I just got my b. Smithi spiderling on Nov 6th, 2016. It's been eating flightless fruit flies. Today I noticed it's missing a leg and I can't tell if it's molted or is in pre molt? It was active and walking around. However I didn't see any molts in the terrarium with it...
The photo on the left is when I first got it, and the one on the right is from today.

Attachments

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
fruit flies have very little nutritional value. switch over to prekilled crickets or mealworms. they dont lose their legs when they molt. (normally)
post a pic of the cage, it can help determine why your sling randomly lost a leg.

Laceymiir

Arachnopeon
I've been spraying one side of the enclosure, I was told to keep high humidity when they're slings. And a small cap dish would be too big at this stage? He only has a small fake plant in there.

Attachments

Laceymiir

Arachnopeon
fruit flies have very little nutritional value. switch over to prekilled crickets or mealworms. they dont lose their legs when they molt. (normally)
post a pic of the cage, it can help determine why your sling randomly lost a leg.
I responded below, I didn't see the reply button to your post at first.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
It looks like it may have moulted.

Sometimes they lose legs. It just happens sometimes and could be many different reasons.

I find the best food for slings (especially needing regeneration limbs) is prekilled waxworms or live small calci worms :)

I fed my mangled Ceratogyrus sanderi sling ( 3 legs and no palps) waxy and calci up until next premoult. After he moulted all limbs were back and at correct size and he was fighting fit ;)

Last edited:

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
I've been spraying one side of the enclosure, I was told to keep high humidity when they're slings. And a small cap dish would be too big at this stage? He only has a small fake plant in there.
cage looks too large. if the slings less than 1.5" i recommend a 16oz deli cup. a smaller cage will help you monitor feedings and molts better, not to mention it takes way less space. tarantulas cant drown, their setae (hairs) resist water and form almost a bubble around the spider. a water dish is highly recommended at any size.

Laceymiir

Arachnopeon
cage looks too large. if the slings less than 1.5" i recommend a 16oz deli cup. a smaller cage will help you monitor feedings and molts better, not to mention it takes way less space. tarantulas cant drown, their setae (hairs) resist water and form almost a bubble around the spider. a water dish is highly recommended at any size.
I'll go ahead and add a water dish then, and look into getting a smaller enclosure for the time being. Thank you!

Laceymiir

Arachnopeon
It looks like it may have moulted.

Sometimes they lose legs. It just happens sometimes and could be many different reasons.

I wind the best food for slings (especially needing regeneration limbs) is prekilled waxworms or live small calci worms :)

I fed my mangled Ceratogyrus sanderi sling ( 3 legs and no palps) waxy and calci up until next premoult. After he moulted all limbs were back and at correct size and he was fighting fit ;)
If he did molt, I should wait a week before offering food again right?

DeanK

Arachnosquire
That's a good rule of thumb but I think slings harden quicker so I usually offer them food 3 or 4 days after a molt. If the fangs are black they're hardened and ready to take food

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I will also advocate pre killed crickets or mealworms. Best way to get slings to molt on a regular schedule

mistertim

Arachnobaron
Yeah definitely will want a smaller enclosure and always add a water dish if it is at all possible. 16 oz deli cup or a small Kritter Keeper would both work. From the before and after it does look like it molted. Sometimes they will lose legs in a molt but it isn't a big deal as they'll grow back and the spider will do just fine with one (or sometimes many) legs missing.

REEFSPIDER

Arachnobaron
Welcome to the hobby.
Your spider should be 8 legged again by its next molt cycle.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'll go ahead and add a water dish then, and look into getting a smaller enclosure for the time being. Thank you!
They won't drown, always give a water dish. Also, if I'm right about the size, put that T in a 16 oz deli cup, current container too large.

If he did molt, I should wait a week before offering food again right?
Based on fang color not time. White>Red>Black, feed on black.

Misty Day

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
As others have said, add a water dish. Their setae helps form an "air sac" of sorts around their exo skeleton, example given by my A.versicolor, so it's not gonna drown.

P1090781.JPG

Laceymiir

Arachnopeon
They won't drown, always give a water dish. Also, if I'm right about the size, put that T in a 16 oz deli cup, current container too large.

Based on fang color not time. White>Red>Black, feed on black.
Hello! I have another question. In the deli cup, do I need to offer it a place to hide as a sling? Or will it be just fine in the 16oz deli cup?