Question on keeping pinheads

scorps

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I just got my first batch of scorplings. None of them will eat the mealworms I offer, which is understandable, so I was planning to order some pinhead crickets for them. I've had the best luck with crickets, but I've never thought raising them was wise in my situation. They smell, make noise, and breed fast, so generally I stick to mealworms and dubia for my scorpions and geckos.

So I'm here to ask if there's a way to slow the growth of the pinheads? I will be ordering them, but I don't want to have to order weekly, as that will get pricey with shipping, and I don't want to breed them.

If there's simply no way, then I'll probably just give up and add a breeder tank to my others.

Christianb96

Arachnoknight
you could probably keep them a little colder to slow there growth. id recommend getting small roaches like B. lateralis. or you could just use small dubias if you have a colony.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I use fruit flies for my scorplings (Paravaejovis puritanus) supplemented with pinhead crickets occasionally. Fruit flies are easier to raise (not to mention quieter and less smelly!) than crickets. I buy crickets about once every week or two from my LPS and pick out the smallest ones for the scorplings and juvenile whip spiders.

Christianb96

Arachnoknight
I use fruit flies for my scorplings (Paravaejovis puritanus) supplemented with pinhead crickets occasionally. Fruit flies are easier to raise (not to mention quieter and less smelly!) than crickets. I buy crickets about once every week or two from my LPS and pick out the smallest ones for the scorplings and juvenile whip spiders.
intersting. i never thought about fruit flies, when do you stop feeding them the fruit flies? after 2nd molt?

scorps

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
you could probably keep them a little colder to slow there growth. id recommend getting small roaches like B. lateralis. or you could just use small dubias if you have a colony.
I've tried roaches with no luck for even my adults. They won't touch them.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
intersting. i never thought about fruit flies, when do you stop feeding them the fruit flies? after 2nd molt?
This is my first batch of scorplings, so I'm still giving them the fruit flies. I'll keep it up until they're large enough to take the small crickets consistently.