Question on Disinfectant

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
I was reading an old post on items to have in case they are needed.

My question is what is the best thing to use to properly disinfect a bite wound? Is it what 8 Legged recommended?

I do not plan on being bitten as I haven't so far. As I move into T's that require more experience I want to make sure I have something to prevent infection. I rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it, if that makes sense.

I really fear an infection than I do the venom and I want to make sure I have the right medical item/s than what I think is the right one.

Thanks in advance for any answers.

Poonjab

Arachnoking
Wash it with soap and water and throw a bandaid on it if you feel you need it.

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
Wash it with soap and water and throw a bandaid on it if you feel you need it.
Hmmmm I did that when I was bitten on the face by a true spider when I was young but it still got infected. The infection was worse than the venom.

Poonjab

Arachnoking
Hmmmm I did that when I was bitten on the face by a true spider when I was young but it still got infected. The infection was worse than the venom.
Maybe you’re more sensitive to infection than others. I have no clue. Maybe boil with hydrogen peroxide and put neosporin on it? Keep it clean from bacteria and I’d assume you’ll be fine.

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
Maybe you’re more sensitive to infection than others. I have no clue. Maybe boil with hydrogen peroxide and put neosporin on it? Keep it clean from bacteria and I’d assume you’ll be fine.
Ok thanks I have all those on hand. Yeah I believe I am more sensitive to infection. Wasp, bees and other insect bites never had a problem but arachnids most definitely. Completely different venom type but I am sensitive to them. I don't know yet about tarantula bites but true spiders I'm sensitive to.

Malum Argenteum

Arachnoknight
I'm acquainted with an MD (ER medicine) who has certifications in wilderness medicine and prehospital care, who I just posed this question to and was told soap and water is best to clean a spider bite.

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
I'm acquainted with an MD (ER medicine) who has certifications in wilderness medicine and prehospital care, who I just posed this question to and was told soap and water is best to clean a spider bite.
Ok thanks good to know.

I'm not wigging out here as I'm aware that might how all this is coming off. It just would be good to know for me.

Hats off to Poonjab he hit it on the head right off the bat.

YungRasputin

Arachnobaron
i work in healthcare and imo soap + *hot* water, isopropyl alcohol, hydrogen peroxide, etc would all be good to properly disinfect the wound

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
Just put a white hot poker in the wound
Lmfao, if I have a splinter in my toe, should I amputate my foot as well? Just kidding sir, back on topic. Soap and water, isopropyl, H2O2, Neosporin etc will all work to prevent an infection, but what is critical is to keep it clean until it's a decent ways into the healing process, almost like taking care of a new tattoo. This might mean something as simple as cleaning it with soap and water twice a day for a few days to a week.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Lmfao, if I have a splinter in my toe, should I amputate my foot as well? Just kidding sir, back on topic. Soap and water, isopropyl, H2O2, Neosporin etc will all work to prevent an infection, but what is critical is to keep it clean until it's a decent ways into the healing process, almost like taking care of a new tattoo. This might mean something as simple as cleaning it with soap and water twice a day for a few days to a week.
Go for it!